real time web analytics
Report - - Barnsdale Tunnel, West Yorkshire, October 2019 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Barnsdale Tunnel, West Yorkshire, October 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wappy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
MY RE VISIT
Well i think my first ever post on here was of barnsdale in 2005 or something so i thought it was time for an update. Barnsdale is the second nearest tunnel to where i live after Brierley but with that one been half filled in this is the best of the two.
The people of Upton are proud of there tunnel and however much it gets fenced off, and the recent addition of fake cameras, the locals always seem to open it up.
There was evan a rave in there either last year or the one before, all the empty cans and small gas canistors still scattered about.
But togther with its water tower and a mast shaped like a rocket its about all there is left in Upton.
I think its an improvment from my first post if i do say so my self :/ but i still find it hard trying to light tunnels up on my own id love to be able to learn how to do it right some day.

HISTORY

Westbound traffic on the Hull & Barnsley emerged from the 1,226-yard Barnsdale Tunnel (HBR3/132) into a sheer-sided cutting before arriving at Wrangbrook Junction, diverging point for the Wath and Denaby branches. The tunnel was driven through magnesian limestone to reach the lower beds of sandstone and clay.

Its eastern portal is found at the end of a partly-infilled cutting adjacent to the northbound service area on the A1 at Barnsdale Bar. The brickwork design is characteristic of other H&B tunnels such as Brierley and Drewton.

Inside the lining is fashioned in red brick except at the interface with the three shafts where blue brindles are used. Around 200 yards in, a 70-yard section was clearly built from an inferior batch of bricks; as a result, water ingress and freeze-thaw has caused their faces to spall. Repointing has taken place using waterproof cement, although the aesthetic quality of the work contrasts markedly with that of the tunnel's original navvies.

Despite being generally dry, some substantial areas of calcite have built up on the walls. Clusters of weep pipes have been installed to relieve water pressure behind the lining whilst a spring emerges into the tunnel from the north wall close to the eastern end. Holes have been cut at the back of most refuges, presumably for investigation purposes.

The tunnel has three shafts - all now capped - approximately 310, 630 and 930 yards from the western entrance.

Opened on 20th July 1885, the line through the tunnel closed officially in April 1959, although there had been no regular traffic for several months prior to that. Until 1967, a set of bufferstops remained at the western entrance as part of a headshunt.

During the 1990s, following advice from consultants Brown & Root, attempts were made to seal the tunnel with concrete beams. However this barrier was attacked with industrial tools and rammed by vehicles. Eventually it was deemed to pose more of a hazard than the tunnel beyond it, and was removed. In 2010, the tunnel's owners, British Railways Board (Residuary), erected pallisade fencing across both entrances but this too has been damaged.

The tunnel remains in a fair condition, having benefitted from patch repairs and repointing.

info from http://www.forgottenrelics.co.uk/tunnels/gallery/barnsdale.html

First sight of western portal
48987914521_59fe500a99_b.jpg

Anyone would think crown jewels were in here
48987364768_9c6d0a5977_b.jpg

Looking towards the eastern A1 side
48988102237_7f8c666d72_b.jpg

First shaft
48987340488_995951132a_b.jpg

Second shaft
48988089092_0287e2d336_b.jpg

Forgot 3rd shaft sorry :/
48987370513_9cde4de231_b.jpg

Sharons spring
48988130767_8f522d697d_b.jpg

calcite build up on walls i believe
48987941131_0c040caa31_b.jpg

Finally the gated eastern portal near the A1
48987950326_d922686caa_b.jpg

Thanks for looking and if anyone would like to show me how to light it up give me a shout cheers

Wappy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Like a good tunnel. And they are a very fine set of pix, it has to be said,
cheers pal i cant say iam over impressed with them its definatly easier if you got someone with you am guessing lol

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nicely done, the shots are fine, the lighting isn't bad at all. I struggle with lighting sometimes, as my lens are not always enough and I cant get the hang of a light paint lol. But your set here sets these off nicely. :thumb

Wappy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nicely done, the shots are fine, the lighting isn't bad at all. I struggle with lighting sometimes, as my lens are not always enough and I cant get the hang of a light paint lol. But your set here sets these off nicely. :thumb
thanks think its same as anything else the more you do it the better you get i will get hang of it one day :)

C4JAX

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hello all @Wappy do you know if the tunnel is available for long term rent? Any contacts for access rights would be appreciated.

Wappy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hello all @Wappy do you know if the tunnel is available for long term rent? Any contacts for access rights would be appreciated.
its own by the british rail residenal bit as far as i know they were going to charge someone a stupid amount just to open gate so i cant realy see it to be honest.

Who has read this thread (Total: 185) View details