real time web analytics
General - - Barnton Quarry R4 Restoration Project | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

General - Barnton Quarry R4 Restoration Project

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mrd1010

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hello everybody,

As you may know we are restoring the R4 at Barnton quarry.
Everything is going well and anybody is more than welcome to come spend there Saturday helping out, see our Facebook page if you are interested.

I am trying to recover anything and everything that may have been "borrowed" over the years from the bunker, even the smallest items. After the fire there was not too much left that's original to Barnton.

If you have or know anybody that has anything please could they get in touch with us through Facebook or 28DL, no questions will be asked we would just be grateful it had been look after so kids did not get there hands on anything.:)

Thanks everybody

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
Was not a lot of it ripped out in the early 1960s when Barnton Quarry became a Regional Seat of Government and again in a 1987 with a Glasgow developers half hearted effort to convert it to a night club

mrd1010

28DL Member
28DL Member
Was not a lot of it ripped out in the early 1960s when Barnton Quarry became a Regional Seat of Government and again in a 1987 with a Glasgow developers half hearted effort to convert it to a night club

Yes but I have seen photos from visits after that and there was still bits around that have gone now. It could just be kids, I just thought I would ask on here and see what happened. we have all borrowed daft things on our travels when we think the buildings are too far gone. Its daft bits be are trying to find, door signs, light switches. just anything that is original and hey if you don't ask then you never know

Tazwu

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi I was fortunate enough to have unlimited access with the Council took over ownership from the MOD, when the site was as though the RAF staff brought by buses from turnhouse had just gone for the day, everything was in place including the switchboard and the teleprinters along with the BBC studio, even the generator room was in miltary green with a buffing block , mind you even the transmitters were still in place at that time , it was just like a timewarp, sad as all of the supply cupboards were stocked with spares for the equipment

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
No problem mrd1010, I hope you mange to track some bits down, But I also think some bits ended up at the Troywood R4 Bunker restoration at St Andrews?