real time web analytics
Report - - Barton High Level Bridge, Manchester - April 08 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Barton High Level Bridge, Manchester - April 08

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

T

ThenewMendoza

If you’ve ever visited Manchester’s Trafford Centre, chances are you’ve driven over the Barton High Level Bridge. Constructed in the 1950s and finally opening officially on 21st March 1961 the bridge has been a local landmark for over 40 years.

BB11.jpg

I was having a mooch around Trafford Park the other day, and couldn’t help but notice it, so I went in for a closer look, was surprised with what I found too. A walkway underneath the M60 orbital ring road, leading from the Trafford side of the Manchester Ship Canal over to Eccles. I grabbed a few pictures, mainly showing the access problems we would have to deal with, then I worded up a few interested parties.

BB5.jpg

Userscott took one look at the pictures and said, ‘five minute job, that, when do we go?’. I liked his confidence, and his ability with ropes and climbing access would prove priceless when it came to the actual explore. We were ready to roll.

BB8.jpg

Havoc and myself met up with Userscott and Yaz near the bridge, Scott was already up on the walkway checking things out and securing a route up for the rest of us. Within minutes we were all up, staring at a locked door ‘how we gonna get past this?’ I asked.

BB20.jpg

‘No problem’ says Scott ‘it’s like this…’.

BB21.jpg

BB22.jpg

Being terrified of heights I wasn’t overly amused by the situation, but I wasn’t gonna be beaten, so slowly but surely we all made our way carefully past the problem area and onto the walkway proper. What a buzz.

BB19.jpg

100 feet above the Manchester Ship Canal and 10 feet below the M60, how could we ask for more??!

BB15.jpg

We made our way across the walkways, stopping off as we reached different support pillars, some of which had gantries that allowed access to the legs of the bridge itself, although these were mostly occupied by pigeons, much to Havoc’s annoyance lol.

BB18.jpg

At 2425 feet in length, at the time of its construction it was one of the longest road bridges in the country, four men lost their lives during its construction.

BB14.jpg

Upon reaching the Eccles side of the bridge we stopped for a group pic, before turning round and heading back to the Trafford side, mooching up and down ladders and walkways etc. We spent the best part of four hours beneath the M60, and fook me, was it worth being scared for!! Oh yes!

L-R Havoc, Yaz, Userscott and Mendoza

BB23.jpg

Another top explore, Jesus, I'm not sure I can keep this up!!

TnM :)

Vivo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: Barton High Level Bridge, Manchester - April 08 - Report.

I must say, access to this is pretty ingenious but you need some proper gear to get this done. Not something most people could achieve. Getting to the walkway in the first place is radge.

I know I visited after but here are my pictures from yesterday evening's short trip up. This is the first thing I've done in Manchester and I really enjoyed it. Thanks to Scott and Yaz for showing me this little gem.

2403704513_19bb83bc8e.jpg

The walkway along the bridge.

2403703943_dccc2cc99a.jpg

Right, time to head down below and check out the view.

2403701341_050a456201.jpg

What a great way to be introduced to Manchester. Check the view!

2403702149_1453744882.jpg

Userscott loving the view.

2404530172_9b75802962.jpg

Looking back along the bottom of the bridge.

The rest of my photos can be seen here.

So thanks for the warm welcome to Manchester guys. Certainly justified coming down those extra few hours early!