General - Becton Gas Works, East London circa late 1986

• Welcome to - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

Create an account | Login | Request new password

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Apr 11, 2014
More oldies. We got into Becton works soon after Stanley Kubrick had finished filming Full Metal Jacket there. Very weird with all the Vietnamese signwriting, palm trees in skips and even a Vietnamese newspaper (see below). This was the first time we were nabbed by security, though when we made a bolt for it, he was too fat to chase us. He did try and nearly got us when we found the battery was flat on the old Morris Minor I was driving and we had to bump-start it....

History Lesson, Beckton was built to make gas from coal in 1870 and stopped operating in 1969 after the development of the natural gas fields in the North Sea rendered it redundant. It was a huge site, covering over two square kilometres. When I went, I spent hours wandering around, it went on forever. It's long gone now and almost no traces remain. But, the spoil heaps have the distinction of being the highest point in the borough of Newham!

Apologies for the quality, these are on old Ektachrome slide film which is deteriorating. Gotta get 'em all digitised asap!

The Kwan

Easily Led
Regular User
Mar 28, 2011
Cheers for posting this up for us to see mate, it is really will need to just pop some history about the gas works in the report if that is okay so folk know a bit about it without having to hit google :thumb

Mr Muscle
Regular User
Feb 27, 2012
Shiiiit son!! It's no secret I fuckin love gas sites & seeing this is absolutely awesome!! More of this stuff please, it's amazing to see stuff from this time.

Thanks for posting these up & please continue to do so :thumb

off the wall
Regular User
Jan 12, 2011
Loving this! Really interesting to see oldies like this and great shots too. As others have said.... more please! :D

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User
Dec 11, 2008
North Yorkshire
Very nice! I'm loving your old film stuff.

I've actually got a box of EPL 400 sat in the freezer, it probably went out of date about the time you were shooting these!

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Aug 9, 2008
That's ace mate, really good to see.
Oasis filmed the video for D'You Know What I Mean here in 1997 a couple of years before it was knocked down to build the Tesco - I watched the helicopters from work all day.

One of the spoil heaps became the Beckton Alps, a dry ski slope. Rumour has it that there's an old railway locomotive buried in it. :)