real time web analytics
Report - - Cwm Coke Works, Beddau - April 2024 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cwm Coke Works, Beddau - April 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Tobin

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
THE HISTORY

The large Cwm Coking Works complex opened in 1958 and were designed to centralise and maintain production of foundry coke in South Wales.
Coal was originally supplied from the adjacent Cwm Colliery until its closure in 1986 since when coal was brought to the site by road and rail from various sources.
The works supplied coke to the four sites of the British Sugar Corporation and Britannia Zinc at Avonmouth, and produced by-products of gas (which it supplied to a local hospital), tar and ammonium sulphate.
The works closed in 2003.

As with other by-product coking works, it produced manufactured gas, benzol, sulphate of ammonia and tar.
Some of the clean gas was store in a 1m cubic feet spiral guided gasholder and sold to Wales Gas Board for use in the gas grid.
There was a separate gasholder (250,000 cubic feet capacity) used to store untreated gas which was burnt in the adjacent Cwm Power plant.
Tar was sent to the tar works in Caerphilly for distillation.
Two gasholders were marked on the OS maps from 1960 and were still present in 2022.

THE EXPLORE

This has been on my list for years, but never had the chance to visit.
So after a failed visit to Whitchurch, i headed up to Beddau.
Id read lots about security on site, but to my surprise the site was completely empty, which made for a lovely relaxed explore.

The Workshop area is stunning, but the rest of the site is pretty past it now.
All stairways have been cut down so accessing the upper levels of most buildings is near impossible.

Still an enjoyable mooch none the less.

On the the pics

_MG_2887-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

_MG_2903.jpg

_MG_2905-Enhanced-NR.jpg

_MG_2925-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

_MG_2935-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

_MG_2953-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

_MG_2959-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

_MG_2970-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

_MG_2975-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

_MG_2980-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

_MG_2985-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

_MG_2990-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

_MG_2994-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

_MG_3015-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

_MG_3020-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

_MG_3025-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

_MG_3035-Enhanced-NR-HDR-2.jpg

_MG_3050-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

_MG_3055-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

_MG_3070-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

THANKS FOR LOOKING​

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Amazing stuff, some of the best shots I've seen from here. Sadly I got busted back in 2022 by 'security' but I don't think he was an actual security guard though as the company does not come up anywhere on Google. You can get a decent overview pic of the site up the hill nearby though:

IMG_1783.jpg

Tobin

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Amazing stuff, some of the best shots I've seen from here. Sadly I got busted back in 2022 by 'security' but I don't think he was an actual security guard though as the company does not come up anywhere on Google. You can get a decent overview pic of the site up the hill nearby though:

IMG_1783.jpg
Thankyou dude, I was expecting to see some form of security 🤣 I wonder who he was if it wasn't security 🤔

TalkingMask

Professional Twat
28DL Full Member
THE HISTORY

The large Cwm Coking Works complex opened in 1958 and were designed to centralise and maintain production of foundry coke in South Wales.
Coal was originally supplied from the adjacent Cwm Colliery until its closure in 1986 since when coal was brought to the site by road and rail from various sources.
The works supplied coke to the four sites of the British Sugar Corporation and Britannia Zinc at Avonmouth, and produced by-products of gas (which it supplied to a local hospital), tar and ammonium sulphate.
The works closed in 2003.

As with other by-product coking works, it produced manufactured gas, benzol, sulphate of ammonia and tar.
Some of the clean gas was store in a 1m cubic feet spiral guided gasholder and sold to Wales Gas Board for use in the gas grid.
There was a separate gasholder (250,000 cubic feet capacity) used to store untreated gas which was burnt in the adjacent Cwm Power plant.
Tar was sent to the tar works in Caerphilly for distillation.
Two gasholders were marked on the OS maps from 1960 and were still present in 2022.

THE EXPLORE

This has been on my list for years, but never had the chance to visit.
So after a failed visit to Whitchurch, i headed up to Beddau.
Id read lots about security on site, but to my surprise the site was completely empty, which made for a lovely relaxed explore.

The Workshop area is stunning, but the rest of the site is pretty past it now.
All stairways have been cut down so accessing the upper levels of most buildings is near impossible.

Still an enjoyable mooch none the less.

On the the pics

_MG_2887-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

_MG_2903.jpg

_MG_2905-Enhanced-NR.jpg

_MG_2925-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

_MG_2935-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

_MG_2953-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

_MG_2959-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

_MG_2970-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

_MG_2975-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

_MG_2980-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

_MG_2985-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

_MG_2990-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

_MG_2994-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

_MG_3015-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

_MG_3020-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

_MG_3025-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

_MG_3035-Enhanced-NR-HDR-2.jpg

_MG_3050-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

_MG_3055-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

_MG_3070-Enhanced-NR-HDR.jpg

THANKS FOR LOOKING​
Could’ve sworn this place was long gone, nice to see it standing I should get a visit in when I can

Love the photos

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Great report, pleased to see the old girl still delivering the goods

IMG_1783.jpg
This shot is wicked Dan!

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Lovely set. Always like the look of here. Surprised to hear security checks it though!

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thankyou dude, I was expecting to see some form of security 🤣 I wonder who he was if it wasn't security 🤔
I'm not sure, secca seemed a bit strange there. I hadn't heard of the company 'Lennox Security'. There's an old thread which mentions it here. The guy was sound though.