real time web analytics
Report - - Birkdale deaf school - July 2020 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Birkdale deaf school - July 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bazza74

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This building has been well documented on here before but as it’s been a while (and it happens to be very close to where I live) I thought I’d post an update.

Originally built in 1904 as a boys boarding school it was taken over in 1948 by the Liverpool School for the Deaf. The name was later changed to the Birkdale School for the Hearing Impared Children. It was eventually closed in 2003 and has been empty since. One end of the building was partially demolished after a suspected arson attack in 2010. It’s future has remained a constant cause of discussion for locals as developers seek permission to build on the site of the school and its large grounds, the last application to renovate and convert the school into apartments and build houses on the playing fields was rejected in 2015.

The visit

Just before lockdown contractors moved onto site and demolished the school outbuildings that the previous reports on here cover, with the exception of the swimming pool, just leaving a rather large pile of rubble.

ontractors have been back recently and attempted to secure a fence around the building and there are a lot of containers on site indicating a lot of work is due to take place. I’d guess either removing the asbestos or more likely sealing the building up even more.

The main building is very securely sealed, but it still has a lot of beauty if restored.

There was a small hole in one of the metal boards so managed to get what may possibly be the only picture of the inside? Pretty stripped out giving an indication of the rest of the building
Sorry about the quality of this pic, looks like asbestos on the ceiling too, there are lots of signs up warning of it.

A lot of the outbuildings were open so some pictures of them.

What remains of half a room (literally) on the fire damaged side.

Potential view if it were ever restored.

Thanks for looking.

Shaun

28DL Regular User
28DL Full Member
Not much to see, the inside of the main building is horrid anyway.

Shaun

28DL Regular User
28DL Full Member
It has some cool features like, but it's just a rotted death trap which also doesn't have much light, much nicer on the outside.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Thats not going to be restored, yes the main building does have some nice features, but with walls already down, I cant see it remaining. Thanks for update, always nice to have them

Bazza74

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thats not going to be restored, yes the main building does have some nice features, but with walls already down, I cant see it remaining. Thanks for update, always nice to have them

the council have dug their heals in for many years that any developer needs to keep the main building, it also is in the most affluent area of Birkdale so flattening it to put up cheap housing won’t cut it. I think it’s got a good shot at being developed as the site is huge so the money can be made back through the houses they’d build.
I certainly hope so anyhow...too many good buildings are lost needlessly!

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
the council have dug their heals in for many years that any developer needs to keep the main building, it also is in the most affluent area of Birkdale so flattening it to put up cheap housing won’t cut it. I think it’s got a good shot at being developed as the site is huge so the money can be made back through the houses they’d build.
I certainly hope so anyhow...too many good buildings are lost needlessly!

Oh dear, but your 1st & 2nd photos show the end wall down & roof. :(