real time web analytics
Report - - Birmingham Repeater Station - Jul 17 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Birmingham Repeater Station - Jul 17

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User

51701156959_11261f5dd3_c.jpg

Known to BT as Lyndon Green TRS (telephone repeater station) or Birmingham/G, this building is one of the handful of protected repeater stations constructed during the Cold War period.
Lyndon Green was known technically as a PR1 (protected repeater station, type 1), comprising a two-level bunker with heavy blast doors. It is semi-sunken, with the main distribution frame and active equipment on the ground floor and power plant and ventilation system in the basement below ground.

51699686707_708fe8ee75_c.jpg

Repeater stations were locations where the signals on telephone cables were amplified to counteract the electrical losses that tend to make speech fainter. The majority of repeater stations were located at intermediate places between telephone exchanges. Lyndon Green is on one of the main trunk telephone (and television) cable routes between London and Birmingham, having a number of important circuits passing through it. It was constructed at a time when all repeaters (amplifiers) used thermionic valves (vacuum tubes), which required far more electrical power than the solid-state amplifiers of today. Accordingly the repeater station had a substantial power plant, with its own electricity substation, a large generator (removed some years ago) and storage batteries. The station had equipment stores, a test desk, repair workshop and eating/recreation facilities.

51701370040_b3703994c3_c.jpg

51701371160_677519a32b_c.jpg

Lyndon Green was one of a number of repeater stations built between 1951 and 1956 as a result of a Treasury paper entitled United Kingdom Telecommunications in War Published in 1949.
The facility was opened in 1953 and on account of its strategic importance it had a low profile.

51701156779_c53a86a714_c.jpg

51700761808_8fa0584af3_c.jpg

The treasury paper recommended that some £2.75 million be spent over five to six years on a scheme for strengthening the telecomms facilities needed for defending the country. One element of the Post Office defence programme (as this become known) was the so-called Birmingham ring main, comprising “protected installations of transmission equipment on about a 5-mile radius with interconnected cabling to enable permanently through communications to bypass the city centre”. Protected in this context means that the buildings and other features would be sufficiently robust to remain intact if a single atomic bomb fell on the centre of Birmingham.

51700761503_bfdb23352a_c.jpg

51700480921_0309c9b5f4_c.jpg

Construction of this ring main scheme appears to have been patchy, with hardened or ‘protected’ repeater stations erected in Birmingham at Lyndon Green (south-east) and to the north-west, at Queslett (but not elsewhere). Both of these were Type 1 stations (Type 2 was larger). The total number of PR1 and PR2 stations constructed around Britain is usually given as eight but it is becoming clear that a greater number were in fact built.

51700760528_b963bba068_c.jpg

51701369270_aa3bf0f7ba_c.jpg

51700481271_cd0867ffff_c.jpg

Visited this one solo & really enjoyed it despite it being quite creepy down there. I climbed a catladder down into the abyss only to find the main stairs later lol

51701370485_0fca0a7f5d_c.jpg

51700482096_d5868580dc_c.jpg

51701157214_c2239dc34a_c.jpg

51699686837_9e4e563761_c.jpg

51700480306_1438729819_c.jpg

51701369365_dff2c69039_c.jpg

Thanks for looking

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nicely captured mate

Thanks dude

Liking that!

Thank you its a nice explore

It was more of a challenge when the basement was flooded. I remember the water was up to my knees.

Really when was that & strange it dried out. Iv been there several times over the years & never been so much as damp.

Nicely done. How many times have I gone in somewhere an awkward way to find a really easy one. Sure I am not alone either :D:D:D

Story of my life, many time I have squeezed through a gap to get in somewhere & find my mate standing there having walked through a door lol

That was good.
That was good.
That was good.

Did u thing that was good?

princethorpe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Interesting to see one empty there are a few of these activly in use for telecoms. usual rule is look for the ugly building not as easy with these being low profile. They are a real pain when you need to phone and there's no landline. Quite a few exchanges had secure nuclear bunkers underneath with two foot thick concrete doors. generator etc some were even part of a national emergency manual boad networks (long defunked)

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Interesting to see one empty there are a few of these activly in use for telecoms. usual rule is look for the ugly building not as easy with these being low profile. They are a real pain when you need to phone and there's no landline. Quite a few exchanges had secure nuclear bunkers underneath with two foot thick concrete doors. generator etc some were even part of a national emergency manual boad networks (long defunked)

thanks for the info

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
Starbeck Exchange (Code MYSRB) on Knaresborough Road Harrogate, a two story building is still in use with a reported bunker in the basement, BT regularly visit as it is also a Hi-Speed cable access point. I think it has a kitchen for tea breaks LoL but they always lock themselves in...

Who has read this thread (Total: 418) View details