real time web analytics
Report - - Bolsover Hospital, Chesterfield, Derbyshire – January 2020 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bolsover Hospital, Chesterfield, Derbyshire – January 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
This district hospital was constructed in 1988 on the outskirts of Bolsover near Chesterfield in North East Derbyshire. The decision to close Bolsover Hospital was taken in July 2017 by North Derbyshire and Hardwick Clinical Commissioning Groups as part of the Better Care Closer to Home consultation to provide more care to older people in settings closer to their homes. The hospital has been vacant since early 2019 and work has now commenced with developer Homes England looking at constructing 70 homes on the 6 acre site.

Had an eye on this one for a while now. New potential ‘local’ hospital explores don’t tend to crop up too often, but any reccies we made last year were fruitless. In the end we had to wait for demolition work to begin to slip inside. Navigating around the hospital is a bit of a ballache as a few key internal doors are screwed shut. Thankfully someone has made the task easier by dropping several ladders down leading up into the service and maintenance ducts and passageways. So crawling around on your belly like Solid Snake and smashing your head on low hanging pipes is a necessary evil to manoeuvre around the site. But I think we managed to see everything. In terms of size it’s probably comparable to something like the former Market Harborough District Hospital only with less character and just as empty.

Shots aren’t the best as we visited after hours but it was a lot of fun. Visited with @Gsxrwayne

Site external courtesy of Google

Main reception

Physiotherapy

Up one of the many ladders into the endless passageways

One of the long connecting corridors running from the Moorfield area to the Sherwood Ward

Pulmonary Office

A lone colostomy bag

And up again...

@Gsxrwayne grafting away

Sherwood Wards

Birthing pool?

Mmm Diazepam

Dining Hall was quite large but completely full of cut branches and vegetation

One of the empty wards towards the rear of the site

That's it, thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Pretty cool. I do like a hospital, strange as many ar`nt designed architecturally pleasing, and not many are left that date back years.
But there is just something strange about free run in a hospital. Good to see its been stripped, not good for photos I know, but good things were re purposed . Nice one. :thumb

Gsxrwayne

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for the pic of squeezing through the hatch. It was nice to see some dogs that was heading our way on the exit

Aj1984

28DL Member
28DL Member
Looks a decent explore. Didn't realise this place was even there. I'm like 5min away in calow. Il go have a look tomorrow

Who has read this thread (Total: 574) View details