real time web analytics
Report - - BORDON ARMY TANK TRAINING GROUNDS-HAMPSHIRE-JUNE 2015 | Military Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - BORDON ARMY TANK TRAINING GROUNDS-HAMPSHIRE-JUNE 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Donna M

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I asked the security guard on the main entrance to Bordon who said that had been moved 2 days prior to me going :( were moved to reme museum at Bordon. Trying to contact the curator to see if I can go in out of hours and get some shots. worth a try I thought....

Donna M

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is open to the public?? :eek:
Loving these shots, thanks for posting
When the tanks were out tho it was public access. Could just go walk around then quite freely. Such a shame they decided to ger moved inside

Bolts

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
When the tanks were out tho it was public access. Could just go walk around then quite freely. Such a shame they decided to ger moved inside
Would have loved a good wander round, shame to have missed it

Donna M

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Would have loved a good wander round, shame to have missed it
Not sure how long it will be until the reme museum is open but could still get shots inside if need be. I know its not the same but make the most out the fact the tanks werent destroyed

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
As part of the Ministry of Defence’s (MOD) Defence Technical Training Change Programme (DTTCP), all military training at Arborfield and Bordon garrisons is relocating to (ex RAF) Lyneham, Wiltshire by the end of 2015, early 2016. This includes the REME Museum and its collections which are currently located at both sites. To facilitate this move, the Museum closed in Arborfield in April 2015 to allow staff time to pack and move the many thousands of objects in the collection, and Borden will transfer after that before Bordon closes.

The original Officers’ Mess at RAF Lyneham is currently being modified to provide a new home for the REME Museum. The enforced move provides a fantastic opportunity to completely refresh the displays and layout as well as upgrading facilities such as the café and archives with a new reading/conference room. There will also be dedicated education facilities to cater for groups of all ages and interests. Plus of course many of the RAF Lyneham features will be saved.

A new outdoor recovery training area is also being built at Lyneham to continue training new recovery mechanics. The AFV's that have been removed from Longmoor Training Area have gone to several locations, the very poor examples to Salsbury Plain, Two examples to Bovington (I am told, but not confirmed) and the reminder to Bordon for temporary storage to be used on the new training area at Lyneham when complete - None are being used by REME as museum pieces as far as I know.

Scrub2000

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi Scub2000! Sorry i didn't reply to your email on Saturday, i was at Reading Festival. Yes i was going to post on here today saying that the tanks have been removed recently:(. Its a real same because it was amazing to see

Nee worries dude! Cheers for the top report on the tanks! Ace pictures!

Rs220bhp

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
My mate lives in Borden. We went out on our bikes and found some of the tanks locked in the actual camp. The remainder were spread around the woods etc over the road. Was good seeing them up close and having a look inside.