real time web analytics
Report - - Box Mine, Wiltshire - October 2012 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Box Mine, Wiltshire - October 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Visited with Styru, Atmic, Altair, Daryl, Tucker and Urban Junky.

Box is probably the best known of the Bath Stone Mines. This is due to it's size and complexity. It is the largest stone mine in the country with many miles of interconnecting passages. The village of Box was put on the map when Brunel created his railway tunnel through Box hill in 1841. Although quarrying was carried out on Box hill in medieval times, the extent of the stone was unknown until the tunnel was built. Soon after building the tunnel they started to mine the stone commercially, several companies being involved, these were Pictors, Nobles and Stones. The mines evolved in a haphazard manner and pass over the top of Box Tunnel. A problem years ago was that they often met up underground which must have been annoying for the rival companies. The principal entrances in Box hill were Eastgate, Northgate, Westgate, Bridgegate, Backdoor, Clift and what is now called Jack's Workings, named after a stone quarrier. All these entrances were adits or levels and entered into the side of the hill or cliff face.

A fairly long trip into Box but mainly following the main routes, with a few little detours that can be expected :rolleyes:

The cathedral...

DSC_4676.jpg

DSC_4680.jpg

DSC_4681.jpg

Tucker underneath the shaft...

DSC_4686.jpg

New access to another level (doesn't go more than a couple of metres)...

DSC_4690.jpg

The water tank on Clift Passage...

DSC_4699.jpg

Various shots from Cligftworks...

DSC_4701.jpg

DSC_4702.jpg

DSC_4703.jpg

DSC_4705.jpg

Altair and Atomic...

DSC_4706.jpg

DSC_4708.jpg

Crab Winch...

DSC_4716.jpg

Tucker map reading...

DSC_4719.jpg

Styru...

DSC_4723.jpg

In summary, a good trip, seen some new stuff which wasn't expected. Lots of people in Box today as well, and it was a bit wet but nothing to worry about.

Finished off with a beer and a nice meal at The Quarrymans.

Hope everyone got back home for a reasonable hour.

Who has read this thread (Total: 6) View details