real time web analytics
Report - - Brecon & Radnor Joint Asylum - Talgarth - November 2010 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Brecon & Radnor Joint Asylum - Talgarth - November 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Hidden

28DL Full Member
Mid-Wales Asylum - Talgarth - November 2010

Visited with Host, Oldskool and Zero81

Many laughs were had, chippy chips, victorian sat navs, badgers, more chippy chips, hunger and cold, the concoction for a successful explore.

The day began at 3.00 am, I called Zero81 to make sure he was on his way, but... what was that, was that a TREADMILL I could here, and WEIGHTS? Seems Zero had got a little lost and ended up at the local gym. Anyway, swiftly moving on through fog and rain we ended up in the spooky Mid - Wales village of Talgarth....

The Mid Wales Hospital was a psychiatric hospital in Talgarth, Wales. It opened in 1906 and was formerly known as the Brecon and Radnor Joint Asylum or Mid Wales Counties Mental Hospital. It is in echelon style and at its peak could serve 1,000 patients. However, nearer the end of its life, in 1995, this had dwindled to 168. The site was also home to the Mid and West Wales College of Nursing and Midwifery and the Powys Drugs & Alcohol Council for substance misuse.
As part of its services the hospital provided treatments for the elderly mentally ill; rehabilitation and continuing care; occupational therapy; day care facility; psychology; reflexology; physiotherapy; electro-convulsive therapy; chiropody and psychiatry.

DSC_1211.jpg

DSC_1120.jpg

DSC_1123.jpg
DSC_1126.jpg

DSC_1128.jpg

DSC_1130.jpg

DSC_1129.jpg

DSC_1140.jpg

DSC_1137.jpg
DSC_1135.jpg

DSC_1155.jpg

DSC_1143.jpg
DSC_1149.jpg

DSC_1158.jpg

DSC_1171.jpg
DSC_1167.jpg

DSC_1174.jpg

DSC_1180.jpg

DSC_1184.jpg
DSC_1183.jpg

DSC_1188.jpg
DSC_1186.jpg

DSC_1201.jpg

DSC_1202.jpg

DSC_1199.jpg
DSC_1192.jpg

Seen this amusing little scrawl on the way out...

DSC_1179.jpg

Cheers :thumb

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
All that water will never be a good thing. It used to be quite dry except for one bit near the hall, the staff canteen I think.

Hidden

28DL Full Member
All that water will never be a good thing. It used to be quite dry except for one bit near the hall, the staff canteen I think.

The place is a mess, well beyond repair BUT the floors are all sound, no big holes, they seem very solid despite being absolutely waterlogged. Admin is the same, piss wet through, shame, as it seemed to be pristine 12 months ago. Cheers.

jST

LLS.
Regular User
The place is a mess, well beyond repair BUT the floors are all sound, no big holes, they seem very solid despite being absolutely waterlogged. Admin is the same, piss wet through, shame, as it seemed to be pristine 12 months ago. Cheers.

All the flashings have probably been pilfered in that time, as soon as they're gone water is free to piss through wherever it wants.

Great photos chap. :thumb

Potter

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That clock tower reminds of Cane Hill.

Love how that old TV is still there intact.

KooK

Tall & Flexible
28DL Full Member
nice pics dude, gives a good feel to the place, the hall is win.

sho

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Lovely dark pics. Im really keen on the two sides of the main hall, kinda symbolic.

O

Oldskool

dont leave me much to put up ,think ill go back in the morning to get some diff shots...some goodphotos apart from the first one ,dont know what went wrong with that.....

Hidden

28DL Full Member
dont leave me much to put up ,think ill go back in the morning to get some diff shots...some goodphotos apart from the first one ,dont know what went wrong with that.....

Yes, a lot of my shots were underexposed, I had to do some serious work to get them to come to life, mildly dissapointed if I'm being honest but it was still a great day!

Ratcatcha

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looks like a great explore and quality shots. Nice to see it still retains some of the original decorations.

O

Oldskool

Yes, a lot of my shots were underexposed, I had to do some serious work to get them to come to life, mildly dissapointed if I'm being honest but it was still a great day!

summit wrong with ya camera ?? and yea was a very good day

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice work mate some cracking shots, love the wall paper detail..

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report mate, some nice shots there. I actually quite like the first shot, its something different and kind of looks old-fashioned.

Great day was had by all, even with the almost bonus UrbEx of a live gym, but better late than never eh :thumb