real time web analytics
Report - - Bretby Pottery Klondyke works bottle kiln, Newhall, Derbyshire - May 23 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bretby Pottery Klondyke works bottle kiln, Newhall, Derbyshire - May 23

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

StolenMonkey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
As the site has been well documented on here I'll keep this bit short! Built in 1899, the Kiln is single skinned red brick, with firemouths around the base and a cast iron framed doorway known as a Clammin, and has a domed internal ceiling. It seems structurally in good shape, but with a lot of debris inside the kiln and surrounding building as you would expect.

Visited with @Bumblebee87 at dusk as its just down the road from me so seemed like a good first pottery to check out, but unfortunately all the access points to the rest of the buildings were well sealed and had been smothered in axle grease or vandal grease, and we didn't have time to go around to the other side of the building to look for ant other access, so another trip will be needed with a little more planning!

posting my pictures and Bumblebee87's too
IMG_5256.jpg

IMG_5265.jpg

The domed inner ceiling

IMG_5267.jpg

IMG_5270.jpg

IMG_5272.jpg

IMG_5285.jpg

IMG_5289.jpg

The Clammin, I really love the Iron frame

IMG_5313.jpg

IMG_5323.jpg

IMG_5340.jpg

IMG_5374.jpg

IMG_5401.jpg

IMG_5404.jpg

IMG_5415.jpg

IMG_5427.jpg

The iron bands around the circumference of the kiln known as Bonts

Bumblebee87's pics :) ⬇️
Hannah Bretby (1).jpg

Hannah Bretby (2).jpg

relatively recent fencing put up covered with vandal grease

Hannah Bretby (3).jpg

Hannah Bretby (4).jpg

Hannah Bretby (5).jpg

Hannah Bretby (6).jpg

Hannah Bretby (7).jpg

Hannah Bretby (8).jpg

A few bags of sodium are knocking around, used during firing to create the salt glaze of stoneware

Hannah Bretby (9).jpg

View from on top of the clay spoil heap on the way into the site

Hannah Bretby (10).jpg

Hannah Bretby (11).jpg

Hannah Bretby (12).jpg

Hannah Bretby (13).jpg

Thanks for looking! 😊

Apologies for the double post, not sure how i managed that!!

Last edited:

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Honestly you're not missing too much in the buildings now. The floors and roofs had gone from being pretty bad to collapsed and lethal within the space of a year between visits I made back in 2020/2021.

StolenMonkey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Honestly you're not missing too much in the buildings now. The floors and roofs had gone from being pretty bad to collapsed and lethal within the space of a year between visits I made back in 2020/2021.
Nice one, thanks for the heads up, I'll probably give it a wide berth. got plenty on my list to do anyway!

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Nice one, thanks for the heads up, I'll probably give it a wide berth. got plenty on my list to do anyway!

Just as an example the top floor roof went from looking like this in June 2020 -

49963156607_07a49e4bac_b.jpg

To this in August 2020 - only two months later.

IMG_20200801_114737.jpg

I can't imagine it's got much better over the last few years!

StolenMonkey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Just as an example the top floor roof went from looking like this in June 2020 -

49963156607_07a49e4bac_b.jpg

To this in August 2020 - only two months later.

IMG_20200801_114737.jpg

I can't imagine it's got much better over the last few years!
yeah, some of the roofing looked dodgy from outside so I'd imagine its significantly worse by now!!

pault2291

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This site is now not accessible due to due to patrols with some big scary looking dogs tried to go yesterday

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Dont really agree with Mookster at all. This is an excellent pottery with just about all its equipment still in situe. It's well worth hunting out access to all parts. The buildings are ruinous but that almost adds to it!

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
This site is now not accessible due to due to patrols with some big scary looking dogs tried to go yesterday
always been guys with dogs etc there its a breakers type place, u just need to choose carefully when u go, Im sure its still as accessible if u try.

pault2291

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
always been guys with dogs etc there its a breakers type place, u just need to choose carefully when u go, Im sure its still as accessible if u try.
No they were proper security with dog unit mate guarding the actually factory part

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
No they were proper security with dog unit mate guarding the actually factory part
still wont make much difference, just need to avoid em, go sillyoclock in morn & find a different route etc, a vast majority of places we do have security dogs etc.
It is strange that they would guard this place at all tbh, but as u say they are prob more concerned about the live parts