real time web analytics
Report - - Bridgewater paper mill May 10 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bridgewater paper mill May 10

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Squirrell 911

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I heard about this place from Bigjobs as he has busted this a few days earlier but not reported it cos he wanted to get some more pics (not suprising really as this place is hoooooooge) :thumb. He showed me a pic or two and I was amazed by it. First day off work and I met up with him and spark and we hit it with a vengance.

History on the place.

Generations of the Poole family lived here for nearly 600 years from the 13th century to the early 1820's. The family were actively involved during the civil war. After which Poole Hall was put on market and sold many times, to many different people. Over many years of occupancy after the Poole family the house slowly decayed. The hall was then sold to Bowater's where a paper mill was constructed between 1921 and then of which came into production in 1931. The grand hall was later destroyed to allow Bowater's to build an extension, although farmyards and farmhouses stood until 1956 which were then demolished for further Bowater mills.

Fast forward 89 years.......

2 February 2010: Tom Jack, Roy Bailey and Alan Bloom from Ernst & Young LLP have today been appointed Joint Administrators to Bridgewater Paper Company Limited (BPCL)
BPCL, a recycled paper mill, based in Ellesmere Port, Liverpool, employed 300 people. The business has a production capacity of 220,000 tonnes per annum and sells both UK and Canadian produced paper.
Recently, 271 employees were temporarily laid off after news that the mill had gone into administration and that production at the plant had ceased at the plant.
PEEL Ports has bought the former Bridgewater Paper Mill site in Ellesmere Port on the 2nd June.
The owner of Port of Liverpool and Manchester Ship Canal has purchased the 75-acre site for an undisclosed sum.

Basically its going to get stripped and made into storage.

Here's a few pics of what will be getting pulled out of this place.

Waste paper goes up this conveyor.

006-9.jpg

034-14.jpg

Then pulped

005-20.jpg

and sent into these bad boys to be de inked.

015-11.jpg

And lovely nasty chemicals added for japes and wheezes. :thumb

003-12.jpg

Which is controlled from here. One of several control rooms

014-13.jpg

And with controll rooms comes labs for testing production quality.

020-8.jpg

025-10.jpg

028-11.jpg

Paper rolling machine shop floor.

057-5.jpg

Then we get bunged through a paper rolling machine to make lots of lovely paper for newsprint to go on.

084-4.jpg

082-2.jpg

And sliced up for more managable size rather than 7 meters wide.

055-7.jpg

056-3.jpg

Now for a place this size it will need a maintenence department which is also on a large scale.

044-6.jpg

041-7.jpg

I have more pictures as this place is huuuuge. Thanks for an ace day out Bigjobs and Spark, it was appreciated :thumb

Last edited:

SeanMcGrath

28DL Member
28DL Member
I heard about this place from Bigjobs as he has busted this a few days earlier but not reported it cos he wanted to get some more pics (not suprising really as this place is hoooooooge) :thumb. He showed me a pic or two and I was amazed by it. First day off work and I met up with him and spark and we hit it with a vengance.

History on the place.

Generations of the Poole family lived here for nearly 600 years from the 13th century to the early 1820's. The family were actively involved during the civil war. After which Poole Hall was put on market and sold many times, to many different people. Over many years of occupancy after the Poole family the house slowly decayed. The hall was then sold to Bowater's where a paper mill was constructed between 1921 and then of which came into production in 1931. The grand hall was later destroyed to allow Bowater's to build an extension, although farmyards and farmhouses stood until 1956 which were then demolished for further Bowater mills.

Fast forward 89 years.......

2 February 2010: Tom Jack, Roy Bailey and Alan Bloom from Ernst & Young LLP have today been appointed Joint Administrators to Bridgewater Paper Company Limited (BPCL)
BPCL, a recycled paper mill, based in Ellesmere Port, Liverpool, employed 300 people. The business has a production capacity of 220,000 tonnes per annum and sells both UK and Canadian produced paper.
Recently, 271 employees were temporarily laid off after news that the mill had gone into administration and that production at the plant had ceased at the plant.
PEEL Ports has bought the former Bridgewater Paper Mill site in Ellesmere Port on the 2nd June.
The owner of Port of Liverpool and Manchester Ship Canal has purchased the 75-acre site for an undisclosed sum.

Basically its going to get stripped and made into storage.

Here's a few pics of what will be getting pulled out of this place.

Waste paper goes up this conveyor.

006-9.jpg

034-14.jpg

Then pulped

005-20.jpg

and sent into these bad boys to be de inked.

015-11.jpg

And lovely nasty chemicals added for japes and wheezes. :thumb

003-12.jpg

Which is controlled from here. One of several control rooms

014-13.jpg

And with controll rooms comes labs for testing production quality.

020-8.jpg

025-10.jpg

028-11.jpg

Paper rolling machine shop floor.

057-5.jpg

Then we get bunged through a paper rolling machine to make lots of lovely paper for newsprint to go on.

084-4.jpg

082-2.jpg

And sliced up for more managable size rather than 7 meters wide.

055-7.jpg

056-3.jpg

Now for a place this size it will need a maintenence department which is also on a large scale.

044-6.jpg

041-7.jpg

I have more pictures as this place is huuuuge. Thanks for an ace day out Bigjobs and Spark, it was appreciated :thumb
My dad Tom McGRATH was chief maintenance engineer from around 1968/69 at Bowaters to when he retired in 1985, when he was 62. Those big blue machines that transformed the rolls of paper into thousands of paper sacks were called hoppers. He used to go over to Düsseldorf in Germany to buy them on behalf of Bowaters. They would be installed during the summer shutdown. He had fought against Germans in WW2 as a soldier in Irish Guards & drove a tank, he was sent across after D Day landings. Despite all that he was an admirer of German engineering and it’s quality. He was a Germanophile.

Bigjobs

Official Smartarse
Regular User
It's always good to hear from people with a link to these places.

Thanks for sharing :D