real time web analytics
Report - - Brierley tunnel - May 11 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Brierley tunnel - May 11

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jj north

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The Hull, Barnsley and West Riding Junction Railway and Dock Company - known as the Hull & Barnsley to save breath and ink - boasted several tunnels including two of more than 1,000 yards in length. Built as a conduit for South Yorkshire coal, wagons first rolled on 20th July 1885.

At near Hemsworth, westbound trains reached the summit of an eight-mile climb before scuttling into a 684-yard tunnel. Emerging, they would then start their descent into Barnsley through a deep cutting, curving to the south.

The tunnel is brick-lined, straight and includes a single ventilation shaft close to its centre. A plentiful collection of refuges was provided on both sides although these became redundant on 7th August 1967 when this section of line was closed.

In October 1994, Wakefield MDC invited tenders for the infilling of the eastern half of the tunnel as part of construction works for the Hemsworth bypass. The approach cutting was infilled and the tunnel pumped full of concrete from the portal to the shaft.

Today the extant western half is muddy but otherwise remains in fair condition. Around half-a-mile to the west, an overbridge has been replaced by an embankment, resulting in an impassable swamp forming between there and the tunnel.

Despite suffering from under exposure, the portal is a hugely imposing structure. Bats pass through it in the winter to take up residence.

Information found here.
Brierley Tunnel

Bored and off work i decided to get off my arse and photograph this place . Iv been down a few times but this was my first visit with a camera .

The portal . Doors been wide open like that for years .

P2010208.jpg

P2010209.jpg

Burnt out rev and go.

P2010207.jpg

Bit soft under foot near the portal but dries out after about 20 yards

P2010211.jpg

SHROOOOOOMZ

P2010220.jpg

After a while the sound of running water can be heard with a stream of irony water running thru

P2010215.jpg

The source of the running water was coming from the air shaft . The tunnel is also blocked from this point onwards filled to the roof with concreate

P2010216.jpg

P2010218.jpg

As far as it goes
P2010217.jpg

Some nice graff on the way out

P2010221.jpg

An the crimb back to civilisation

P2010224.jpg

Again apologys about the quality of photo's . taken with a point and click olympus d395 and no photography experiance .

Thanks for looking if you made it this far :D
Any comments and critism welcome.

Burt508

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
We used to call it "mile tunnel" when we were kids, back then (early 90's) you could get all the way through, we used to go regular. I live about 1.5 miles from the tunnel and suddenly decided to go on a mini mission there after reading about it on here, I didn't go all the way in as I was by myself and only had the torch on my phone.

Burt508

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Some pics......sorry they aren't brilliant taken on iPhone

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 290
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 237
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 239
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 238
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 235
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 240

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You also don't post thumbnails you post the image links depending on which hosting service you use .

Also whereas a phone pic may suffice for an external it's not going to work for a tunnel shot especially not in this one with FA light available. So there's no point posting an image up that's 90% black Screen we all know what the dark looks like :)

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
Sorry didn't realise I'm new to this
No worries. Read the FAQs, then you'll know what you're doing. Good luck
P.S. Do a new member introduction thread :thumb that'll let us know who you are and what kind of stuff you're interested in exploring

Burt508

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You also don't post thumbnails you post the image links depending on which hosting service you use .

Also whereas a phone pic may suffice for an external it's not going to work for a tunnel shot especially not in this one with FA light available. So there's no point posting an image up that's 90% black Screen we all know what the dark looks like :)
Lol fair point
No worries. Read the FAQs, then you'll know what you're doing. Good luck
P.S. Do a new member introduction thread :thumb that'll let us know who you are and what kind of stuff you're interested in exploring
Thanks I'll give it a shot