real time web analytics
Report - - Brinksway Air Raid Shelter, Stockport - July 2016 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Brinksway Air Raid Shelter, Stockport - July 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
July 2016

Cheers for the tip @Coolboyslim. Did this as a solo visit one early morning, the shelter is pretty huge with lots of tunnels branching off from each other. After managing to get myself lost down there I eventually covered it all.

History
The Brinksway deep level shelter is one of three deep level shelters in Stockport.
The air raid shelter tunnels were for civilian use, and were dug into the red sandstone on which the town centre stands on. Work started on the tunnels in 1938 and the first set of shelters was opened on 28 October 1939. Stockport was first bombed on the 11th October 1940. The smallest of the tunnel shelters could accommodate 2,000 people and the largest 6,500 people. Stockport is only 6 miles away from Manchester, the local folk complained the Mancunians were taking up all the room inside the shelters.

The tunnels were 7 feet wide and 7 feet high and had electric lighting and wooden bench seating. There were toilets, mostly chemical although a few were plumbed into the mains. A warden’s post, a first aid store and a tool store were also provided. As the threat of bombing receded in 1943, it was decided that the tunnels no longer needed to be open every night. After the end of the War, the tunnels were sealed up and remained virtually as they had been

1b2cef.jpg

[1]

IMG_36028c48e.jpg

[2]

IMG_360911342.jpg

[3]

IMG_3638a73f9.jpg

[4]

IMG_365580c99.jpg

[5]

IMG_3712aeef0.jpg

[6]

IMG_372845f99.jpg

[7]
Cheers for looking. :thumb

Last edited:

Mick The Mole

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
glad someone else got lost in there too :D:thumb i went in yesterday afternoon, doing what seemed to be figure of eights :banghead

coolboyslim

Mr Reality Hacker
28DL Full Member
Lol.. yea it's quite easy to get lost in places like this.. glad you got it done and enjoyed it. Grabbed yourself some nice pictures also. Bet it was fun solo lol... thx for posting

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cracking report, with all these people heading to do this you should look at Dodge Hill while your here…..or try it.

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cracking report, with all these people heading to do this you should look at Dodge Hill while your here…..or try it.

Mate of mine tried Dodge Hill the night before we done Brinksway but couldn't find a way in sadly so we didn't bother checking the next day... one to keep an eye on with this one being opened so blatantly haha... would still love to know who and how this one was opened haha

FreshFingers

Choose life, choose tunnels
Regular User
The chisel marks appeared pretty beefy, so could only imagine that it was a fair sized tool. Must have been tackled quickly too. Wild shot, but possibly scrap metal monkies with access to "tarmac ya druyve" tools. A pile of beds appeared closer to an entrance than seen before.