real time web analytics
Report - - Brinksway Air Raid Shelter, Stockport - July 2016 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Brinksway Air Raid Shelter, Stockport - July 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bolts

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Brinksway Air Raid Shelter

2mmi6ow.jpg

Visited with @TunnelMon and his girlfriend, we checked out a few other things first but they were all unsuccessful. Thanks to a few tips from host, TLR and EyesOpenWide (cheers guys) we made our way into Brinksway shelter and had a good wander round the various tunnels that make up the shelter - unfortunately this particular explore was ruined for me as I dropped a jam sandwich on the floor and there was no getting it back :(

13zyc9k.gif

Brinksway is one of three deep level shelters in Stockport, and was intended to be used by civilians. The tunnels were dug into the sandstone that the town is famous for, and it's not hard to find the many marks in the walls made by the workers' pickaxes. Work started on the tunnels in 1938 and the first set of shelters was opened on 28 October 1939. They were 7 feet wide and 7 feet high and had electric lighting and wooden bench seating, along with both male and female toilets. A warden’s post, a first aid store and a tool store were also provided. After the war, the tunnels were 'sealed' but it is clear that many, many people have been in since.

icofo7.jpg

2py1hdy.jpg

o8rzpg.jpg

ehkw79.jpg

24xgmx2.jpg

2eyw476.jpg

We bumped into @Nickindroy as we were making our way back to the car, from the way he was dressed I figured he could only have been going to Brinksway and it wasn't long before he noticed the hair and shouted over to us - nice to meet you mate! Apart from the lost jam sandwich it was a good trip, definitely worth a look if you're in the area.​

Nickindroy

A Porky Prime Cut
Regular User
Nice one, I was actually working on Chestergate and having a stroll to see if it was still a goer. Well in kidda. :thumb

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Glad to see you made it there mate! Absolutely devastating news about the jam sandwich though! I haven't had one for years and now all of a sudden Im craving one haha :)

coolboyslim

Mr Reality Hacker
28DL Full Member
Nice bolts m8ty .. @Nickindroy is an awesome guy and a hope ya keeping well m8ty. Mmmmmmm jam sarney .. not sure I'd want a brinksway jam sarney. Glad you enjoyed it bolts m8ty. Not a bad mooch about.

Bolts

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cheers all, it was a good trip but that sandwich will be missed. RIP

Who has read this thread (Total: 4) View details