real time web analytics
Report - - British Extracting Co. Ltd, Hull, 2008 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - British Extracting Co. Ltd, Hull, 2008

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bunk3r

28DL Memb3r
28DL Full Member
I've Visited here a few times this year so here are the best pics from my visits.

This silo was built in the early 20th century for the purpose of storing Oilseeds such as Linseed and Cottonseed, which were later crushed for their oils, with the remaining residue used in cattle meal. It has laid derelict on the bank of the river Hull since the 1970's.

Spillers Mill in Hull has gone, Hull's Rank Hovis Mill is going (Manor Mill development), fortunately this one should be staying as it holds grade II listed status with English Heritage.

P1040364.jpg

P1040359.jpg

Picture of some of the equipment in the adjoining building (nearest the River) I think this building is where the seed was crushed:
P1040373.jpg

This picture is of the silo attic showing the tops of some of the 66 (apparently, I didn’t count them) vertical shafts which held the seed.
P1040386.jpg

Good stonework is largely a thing of the past, especially the placing of good stone work in places few will see, like this watertower on top of the silo, seeing the extra bits like that make the ascent to the top even more worthwhile.
Photo23_19ALarge.jpg

Hull is very flat, with not many tall buildings so been up here really does feel like been on top of the world (and climbing the single ladder to the top really feels like climbing to the top of the world).
CopyofP1040473.jpg

The dreaded fire exit on the side:
Photo02_20ALarge.jpg

The floor in one of the warehouses on the BE site is the craziest wooden floor I have ever seen, the expanding of the wood has caused some serious buckling.
P1040388.jpg

L

littlemissbump

:)Some nice pictures there. I really like the view on pic 6. But there all good.:)

N

Number Six

Excellent photos. There were a lot of seed crushing companies along the River Hull at one time, I'm not sure how many are left, there was Barkers, they produced really high quality linseed oil. Anyway great photos I wish someone would find a use for this building.

Rousing_Raven

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Crikey! :eek:

One hell of a building, it shouts at me! you're right about the stonework too, they meant business when they built this mother ;)

loving the staircase up the side

thats a mammoth floor-bulge! here's my 'power of damp' shot from Guildford Civic
99ae040d.jpg

pretty pathetic to bve honest :D good call :thumb

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice work mate, I've never understood why more people have not done this place, I think it's one of the best mills in the North...

cactusmelba

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Excellent report sir, on an excellent building..

a few extra pics from a couple of recent re-visits to this place.. love it!

reflections in a puddle of the battered roof
roofreflections.jpg

the (even more) buckling floor. like a skate park!
ridethewaves.jpg

rays of sun cutting through the gloom
lookingforme.jpg

the ghost of a building
ghostofabuilding.jpg

my first ever zoom burst!
IMGP3009.jpg

bunk3r on top of things
IMGP3000.jpg

the roof and water tower
IMGP3013.jpg

black and white bunk3r
IMGP3004.jpg

black and white me
IMGP3005.jpg

spot the police chopper..
IMGP2998.jpg

maffhew!

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
cactusmelba you've got some sorted shots and you say its like a skate park
theres some people that actually used to go here to skate that flooring :P!

BillAnd

Badass dare devil gangsta
28DL Full Member
nice work,

note to self - make more effort to get in there in daylight

cactusmelba

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
cactusmelba you've got some sorted shots and you say its like a skate park
theres some people that actually used to go here to skate that flooring :P!

excellent, possibly the same people who set up a skate park in the gym at RAF Staxton Wold, Driffield? that'd make for some interesting pics...

T

Thrillcapsule

God, the warehouse with the missing panels brings back a few memories, went to a boot sale there when I was about 5...

maffhew!

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
excellent, possibly the same people who set up a skate park in the gym at RAF Staxton Wold, Driffield? that'd make for some interesting pics...

It was the same people actually HAHA!
Well don't know for definate but i know a few people that have skated at the same place haha :P!