real time web analytics
Report - - British Extracting Co. Receiving House (Hull), November 2017 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - British Extracting Co. Receiving House (Hull), November 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jaws

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The former British Extracting Company building, which has been disused since the 1970s, was used to store seeds for use in oils and cattle feed, however now sits on an aggregates processing site, somewhat out of place. It achieved listed status in 1993 so unlike the few other mills in Hull which have been demolished (Spillers, then Rank Hovis more recently) this one is likely to stay for now.

Having been past the site many times, and having a good view of it from around where I live, I gave in and visited with two others. Whilst we did not find a way into the main building, we were able to access the attached Receiving House. This section of the building is much less impressive in terms of size(3 floors compared to 6/7 in the main building), however still holds some interesting features inside. We visited under the cover of darkness and whilst the site appeared not to have anyone on, it is very much in use (lights on, diggers etc around) and so I would not recommend visiting in the day.

First started off by taking an external shot, which turned out quite well

38381735802_4173ed83c5_b.jpg

Some of the processing equipment inside, this was only one floor, the first floor was rather unimpressive, and we didn't want to attract attention by causing all the 50+ pigeons on the 3rd floor to fly off...

38413261951_0b95c18d08_b.jpg

Shot of the side of the building

38381733132_b00639e2a0_b.jpg

I know the report is a bit thin however there was not much to take photos of, in addition to the fact that it was fucking freezing (the wind blows really well through the building) and pitch black, but I hope it is enjoyed anyway. More photos to follow from shutterbug later today...

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Great couple of photos there. Shame there isnt more as these are very good. The night sky looks fantastic here. The only thing I would say, which was advice given to me btw, is add no less than 8 photos. Also review is our friend. The tags could be edited out. I know admin dont like those tags, especially external hosters. Just advice I was given.

But I do love the shots that are up and the report is also very good:thumb

jaws

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
@Calamity Jane Thanks! We probably would have stayed longer but our visit was cut short, hence the lack of photos. I'd usually try for around that, but I was almost posting this as an update as much as a report in its own right. I haven't been able to figure out how to edit out the tags, if you could offer any assistance. Hopefully the photos from @ShutterBug should bulk it out a bit more!

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
@Calamity Jane Thanks! We probably would have stayed longer but our visit was cut short, hence the lack of photos. I'd usually try for around that, but I was almost posting this as an update as much as a report in its own right. I haven't been able to figure out how to edit out the tags, if you could offer any assistance. Hopefully the photos from @ShutterBug should bulk it out a bit more!

Will look forward to seeing more:thumb

Too edit the tags: Two ways really. After you have copied the URL just take the last bit of that URL off. So its delete until the [IMG bracket is left at the end. Or after you have loaded all of your photos, there is icon at the top of your report, like an eraser, click that, all your URLS will be listed and you can edit the tags off as I said above. Hope this helps. Its trail and error. We all do it, I still make mistakes with my titles lol