real time web analytics
Report - - British Shoe Corporation - Leicester [Sept 2016] | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - British Shoe Corporation - Leicester [Sept 2016]

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

elhomer12

Maglite size T-rex, It's time for urbex!
28DL Full Member
History
The British Shoe Corporation was formed in 1956 by Sir Charles Clore. In 1953 he had taken over the company of J. Sears and Co., an amalgamation of J. Sears and Freeman Hardy and Willis Ltd. This company later became Sears PLC, and following the sale of BSC was ultimately acquired by Philip Green in 1999. (Yeah, that guy...)

The site in Leicester was the head office of British Shoe, and opened in January 1964. The site closed in July 1998, following some botched sales, and subsequent sale of the remaining parts of British Shoe Corp. Since the closure of BSC, parts of the site have been occupied by other businesses, including one of the office blocks. During this time other parts of the site have remained mostly empty.

Now the entire site is in the process of being demolished to make way for a new distribution centre. The expansive warehouses have been in the process of demolition for some time now, but with those almost all gone, the office blocks will follow shortly. During our visits there was evidence of work being carried out in the buildings. Between visits metal was stripped from radiators and holes punched in walls, presumably testing for asbestos before the demolition starts.

The Explore
We heard this place had been empty for some time, and demolition had begun so thought we'd pay a visit. So me, @mineorluke and his mate rocked up one evening, and started looking for access when we spotted a torch flash on the stairs. Just our luck, mattdonut appears and lets us in... Cheers matt ;)
These photos were taken over the course of 3 visits.

N0OrgK1.jpg

BSC building in its former glory... in 1964

GIoFBv8.jpg

HTnqcTr.jpg

gzR3684.jpg

pi19WWC.jpg

hpcj84d.jpg

fLOREeW.jpg

tgePL8m.jpg

n40pqD9.jpg

Hyavog9.jpg

KrIck4U.jpg

d8p2cUz.jpg

LLdvuA2.jpg

ax70OJ9.jpg

5XvHhHt.jpg

FzggOC6.jpg

r9VGLXl.jpg

93JLOyn.jpg

hnuGAp8.jpg

z0GuIzw.jpg

uivvQkC.jpg

w53qPZ3.jpg

SaXCG5t.jpg

sUNPUk7.jpg

Last edited:

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
That pesky Donut eh :p

Good stuff and sad to see another victim of a once thriving business

Tobin

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
very nice report. its a shame vandals have started putting windows in..........

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
I expected the building to have less inside it. Nice report, I really like your shots. They're really crisp.

elhomer12

Maglite size T-rex, It's time for urbex!
28DL Full Member
I expected the building to have less inside it. Nice report, I really like your shots. They're really crisp.

A fair bit of stuff was left all over the building. One floor had a load of wheelie chairs and we had a race with Matt's group on our first visit. Fire extinguishers were left all over the place too, and we couldn't resist combining a CO2 one with a chair.... didn't work anywhere near as well as expected :(

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
Nice to see photos inside this place.
I have driven by it many times.

Hoarding is up all round it now, and i heard that demolition is happening very soon

Excellent photos :thumb

The Stig

Urbex = Nosey Bastard
28DL Full Member
And the gold star for cracking this but goes to.....elhomer12... Well done I knew this place was going to show some great results for that person who gets in first.
Thanks for sharing and a great report

Six

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I quite enjoyed my afternoon wandering around here. Wasn't a bad place despite being quite stripped.

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
I think Doughnut lives there doesn't he?? :)

Should have ducked into the strong room. Was my favorite bit!

29730640566_67e877923d_c.jpg