real time web analytics
Report - - British Xylonite, the finds... | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - British Xylonite, the finds...

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Lying in bed nursing a hangover, I thought I would post this up. Raddog and I spent a good two or three hours digging through the piles and piles of paperwork, broken glassware, lab equipment and god knows what else in the labs ann offices of BXL, with some interesting finds... Here is what we found. I'm in awe this stuff keeps turning up...

The company founder. This man made the first commercially sucessful plastic in the UK.
bxl16-1.jpg

Early view of the Brantham site
bxl2-1.jpg

An early patent by the company
bxl6-1.jpg

The Brantham Works
bxl18-1.jpg

Mock tortashell, how BXL began

bxl15-1.jpg

BXL's logo, featuring a turtle and elephant, for tortashell and ivory, the two materials BXL imitated
bxl12-1.jpg

Other variations on the theme
bxl3-1.jpg

You cannot buy plastic like this anymore!
bxl14-1.jpg

BXL in time of war
bxl9-1.jpg

bxl8-1.jpg

bxl7-1.jpg

bxl10-1.jpg

bxl11-1.jpg

BXL had two sites, the Brantham and one in Lancashire. The Brantham site was set to close in 1981, but after a massive campagne by the unions and staff, the company decided to shut the Lancashire one instead. You would be pretty pissed if you worked there!

bxl13-1.jpg

bxl4-1.jpg

bxl-1.jpg

bxl5-1.jpg

Last edited:

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Glad you went back mate, its an amazing place.

I was looking though my old shots the otherday and found the ones i took the day after the place closed in March 2007, most were shit but i got a couple of ok ones. The last one is taken looking though the glass of the locked lab doors, wish id kicked them through now!

DSCF4453.jpg

DSCF4465.jpg

DSCF4411.jpg

DSCF4444.jpg