real time web analytics
Report - - Brookmans Mine, Tormarton - Jan 2023 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Brookmans Mine, Tormarton - Jan 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Doozer

Probably underground somewhere
Regular User
History
Pinched from @Lord Oort’s report (cheers mate).
In South Gloucestershire the Bath Stone beds are at shallow depth and were mainly worked on the Badminton Estate in Tormarton and Old Sodbury parishes to supply a very local market.

The earliest known reference to quarrying in Tormarton is 4th March 1793 when James Gingell was killed "in consequence of a certain quantity of Earth & Rubbish falling upon his Body as he was raising Stone in a certain Quarry in the Parish of Tormarton".

Brookman's Quarry in Tormarton is an underground one, it is pencilled on a map of the Manor of Tormarton dated 1763, and is thus of later date. Thomas Brookman a farmer worked it up to 1863, from 1864 it appears to have been worked by the Badminton Estate, digging continued up to 1916 when the quarry closed. In the summer of 1936 the Bath & Portland Stone Firms Ltd sunk a shaft in the floor of the quarry in order to test the nature of the stone at a greater depth, the Badminton Estate paid £25 towards the cost. The work was done by Owen Bishop, a well known Corsham ganger. The gang included Ted Gibbons of Gastard who died in the early 1990s, he was the last man to work underground at Tormarton.

Tormarton stone was used for the restoration of Acton Turville Church in 1853, for the new font and the pillars and arches which separate the Aisles from the Nave and the corbels supporting the roof. A new font was supplied to West Littleton church in 1856.

The quarry is basically an inclined roadway type where the hauling road descends from the surface down to the floor of the quarry where the head of stone was undermined by pillar and stall workings. The freestone is wedge bedded i.e. the strata is inclined, unique features include the remains of a very early loading crane and mixed gauge wagon ruts. The square 1936 trial shaft is still there.
Explore
Visited with @Bertie Bollockbrains and Bertie Jnr. A big thanks to you both for showing me around the place. This was only a little mine with some nice features, especially the 10ft shaft in the floor! All in all it was a good little mooch about, ideal if your a beginner as it’s hard to get lost in. Photos done with iPhone

A few bits of graff
66174E4E-E53A-4A34-AEE1-17CC3BECF812.jpeg

8DF2689C-5A12-4A38-BF31-2F96F3000D2B.jpeg

6DA74A5E-19C0-4CC7-8D2B-5A3FB9F71745.jpeg

363DD445-EFBC-412F-AB51-E5B38813EF13.jpeg

The bath and Portland test shaft
9BDFE0D2-08D1-489E-B21C-6083B6DFA5A4.jpeg

A92EEB02-C933-4B13-A51A-AB940BB98430.jpeg

Remains of an old crane
97845E78-C48F-45DC-91E2-528AB80A5B7C.jpeg

24D91CCD-0090-4C5B-BDFA-95A51941BD57.jpeg

A nice row of pillars
DB7D45E9-EC4D-4B5D-BEEC-B4EA8D120C0A.jpeg

A few angles of the shaft
0BA7E75C-160F-4C65-B082-1648C333E4AC.jpeg

ED8FD9B6-8ECD-42D4-9208-DC7226950560.jpeg

52721426-1DA6-4062-8CB3-6E6AFB2430EC.jpeg

Looking back at entrance

D0AE1BDF-57E9-483E-83CD-39C3F74D518E.jpeg

TheJungleBeast

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
nice pics !
Went there a few days ago, some gimps who have a problem with Exploring with fighters has sprayed all sort of insults every where, where is wrong with people ? I hope this gets sealed up as it's generally in such good condition.

Doozer

Regular User
nice pics !
Went there a few days ago, some gimps who have a problem with Exploring with fighters has sprayed all sort of insults every where, where is wrong with people ? I hope this gets sealed up as it's generally in such good condition.
I agree mate it’s in lovely condition, especially the ceilings. The spay paint is minimal luckily so it didn’t ruin it too much for me but you’ll always get a goon with spray paint that likes to ruin things unfortunately.

Doozer

Regular User
To be fair Bertie showed me that room and said it’ll be a good photo so I can’t take credit for that one! Fair play to you if you do go clean it off mate.

Doozer

Regular User
Not for long as its been spaffed all over the internet now by various people.
You’re not referring to that knob secret vault are you? He’s posted a coulple of videos over the last couple of weeks that I’ve had on my list but will probably be sealed now for plastering it all over goontube. That bloke really annoys me!

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I agree mate it’s in lovely condition, especially the ceilings. The spay paint is minimal luckily so it didn’t ruin it too much for me but you’ll always get a goon with spray paint that likes to ruin things unfortunately.

Noone can blame them for having issues with fighters I guess but spraying it in a mine is a bit far

Doozer

Regular User
Nice that, like u say pretty unvandalized compared to most round there
I just hope it stays that way. The farmer must be doing a good job of scaring the shit out of people with his shotgun! :rofl Luckily we didn’t bump into him

TheJungleBeast

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You’re not referring to that knob secret vault are you? He’s posted a coulple of videos over the last couple of weeks that I’ve had on my list but will probably be sealed now for plastering it all over goontube. That bloke really annoys me!
He pissed me off with that video he done of Hollybush quarry recently, hardly anyone seemed to know about that place, so clean and tidy and quite unique in layout, no doubt will be sprayed up by bellends.

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
I believe you had miss interpreted the comment , I think “total shot in the dark” since you have put it on here, now really you can’t moan about it getting spray painted as you have thrown it out there yourself. If you was concerned about it getting damaged or spray painted after your visit before this post was made you should have spoke to a mod, asked them if they deemed it worthy of n.p if so put it there .

The row of pillars is nice hope a big wi””y doesn’t end up on it

3CC243CF-DD2E-4301-8160-90B0559CB1A3.jpeg

Who has read this thread (Total: 215) View details