real time web analytics
Report - - Browns Folly Mine and Ammo Case Valley, Wiltshire, September 2019 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Browns Folly Mine and Ammo Case Valley, Wiltshire, September 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

latentux

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
A very brief history.

In the 19th century a large area around Monkton Farleigh was mined for Bath Stone with Monkton Farleigh Mine and the adjoining Browns Mine being major suppliers.

In the late 1930s with the threat of war looming, the mines became one of several main ammunition storage and distribution depots for the MOD. They closed after the end of WW2 but were kept operational until the late 1950s/early 1960s. Monkton Farleigh Mine was eventually sold off, and is now used for secure storage by Restore.

Browns Folly Mine is now managed by the Avon Wildlife Trust and is home to protected roosting bats. Fortunately the bat roosts are not readily accessible and need not be disturbed during a visit.

A sealed steel door separates the two mines but on the Monkton side it has been blocked with rubbish and bricked over.

When the MOD had finished with the mines they collapsed the main entrance to Browns and disposed of surplus cordite in the valley which lead to it.
The valley remained full of empty cordite cases for years.

I visited a couple of times during September with family and friends, entering through Muddy Hole. It was relatively free of litter and looks as though graffiti has been
removed from places, though not without leaving some damage to older markings. I believe some of the best markings were previously vandalised or destroyed.
The square well was almost empty but the water looked crystal clear. Sadly the remains of the old crane look nothing like they were in pictures from earlier reports.

Well worth a visit Imho.

The first passage after Muddy Hole, and Clapham Junction.

Untitled1.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

One of several pretty cavernous areas.

Untitled3.jpg

Nice mineral deposits and water erosion at the troughs.

Untitled5.jpg

Untitled6.jpg

Wall markings near the stables (I think) and over some deads. I’ve seen many more markings in other reports but didn’t find them
before we ran out of time. A good excuse to go back so any guidance or suggestions wellcommed.

Untitled7.jpg

Untitled8.jpg

Untitled4.jpg

Iron doorway to Monkton.

Untitled9.jpg

What’s left of the crane.

Untitled10.jpg

No idea where we were here and no time to carry on down the passage.

Untitled11.jpg

Way in to the prop chamber, and on towards the well.

Untitled12.jpg

Untitled13.jpg

Never expected to find these. (In the the prop chamber).

Untitled14.jpg

Ammo Case Valley.

The Wiltshire Times reported on the 8th November 2013

“A police cordon will now remain around an area of woodland at Monkton Farleigh, in which spent ammunition cases were discovered, for the next 24 hours.
And police are warning members of the public to avoid the area until the cases are cleared from the area by bomb disposal experts.

A member of the public reported finding a large number of spent cases while walking in woodland about 50 metres from Monkton Rise road yesterday afternoon.
Bomb disposal experts were contacted and returned today to clear the casings, but will now need more time tomorrow to clear the thousands of shell cases.”

Well, it didn’t look like thousands of cases in 2012.

Untitled15.jpg

These from 2019

Untitled16.jpg

Untitled17.jpg

Untitled20.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

mw0sec

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There were loads of Bakelite case ends in that dump. Handy for ash-trays or small components on the bench. Still have a few!

sjluke

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Made a new door,until someone broke it .

Attachments

• 20191130_165748.jpg
    20191130_165748.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 61

Toodlecat

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've heard alot about this place and seen many reports on it- think I'll check it out at some point

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Nice report and great pics!

Two things, 1 thats not the door to MF and 2 where you werent sure looks like St. Pauls on front passage.

latentux

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report and great pics!

Two things, 1 thats not the door to MF and 2 where you werent sure looks like St. Pauls on front passage.

Thanks for the info'. It's much appreciated.:thumb
Now I'm wondering what's beyond that door.

Johnexplore

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
A very brief history.

In the 19th century a large area around Monkton Farleigh was mined for Bath Stone with Monkton Farleigh Mine and the adjoining Browns Mine being major suppliers.

In the late 1930s with the threat of war looming, the mines became one of several main ammunition storage and distribution depots for the MOD. They closed after the end of WW2 but were kept operational until the late 1950s/early 1960s. Monkton Farleigh Mine was eventually sold off, and is now used for secure storage by Restore.

Browns Folly Mine is now managed by the Avon Wildlife Trust and is home to protected roosting bats. Fortunately the bat roosts are not readily accessible and need not be disturbed during a visit.

A sealed steel door separates the two mines but on the Monkton side it has been blocked with rubbish and bricked over.

When the MOD had finished with the mines they collapsed the main entrance to Browns and disposed of surplus cordite in the valley which lead to it.
The valley remained full of empty cordite cases for years.

I visited a couple of times during September with family and friends, entering through Muddy Hole. It was relatively free of litter and looks as though graffiti has been
removed from places, though not without leaving some damage to older markings. I believe some of the best markings were previously vandalised or destroyed.
The square well was almost empty but the water looked crystal clear. Sadly the remains of the old crane look nothing like they were in pictures from earlier reports.

Well worth a visit Imho.

The first passage after Muddy Hole, and Clapham Junction.

Untitled1.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

One of several pretty cavernous areas.

Untitled3.jpg

Nice mineral deposits and water erosion at the troughs.

Untitled5.jpg

Untitled6.jpg

Wall markings near the stables (I think) and over some deads. I’ve seen many more markings in other reports but didn’t find them
before we ran out of time. A good excuse to go back so any guidance or suggestions wellcommed.

Untitled7.jpg

Untitled8.jpg

Untitled4.jpg

Iron doorway to Monkton.

Untitled9.jpg

What’s left of the crane.

Untitled10.jpg

No idea where we were here and no time to carry on down the passage.

Untitled11.jpg

Way in to the prop chamber, and on towards the well.

Untitled12.jpg

Untitled13.jpg

Never expected to find these. (In the the prop chamber).

Untitled14.jpg

Ammo Case Valley.

The Wiltshire Times reported on the 8th November 2013

“A police cordon will now remain around an area of woodland at Monkton Farleigh, in which spent ammunition cases were discovered, for the next 24 hours.
And police are warning members of the public to avoid the area until the cases are cleared from the area by bomb disposal experts.

A member of the public reported finding a large number of spent cases while walking in woodland about 50 metres from Monkton Rise road yesterday afternoon.
Bomb disposal experts were contacted and returned today to clear the casings, but will now need more time tomorrow to clear the thousands of shell cases.”

Well, it didn’t look like thousands of cases in 2012.

Untitled15.jpg

These from 2019

Untitled16.jpg

Untitled17.jpg

Untitled20.jpg

Thanks for looking.
I tryd looking for ammo case vally but couldn't find it

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
How? Its 4m wide and about 40m long. Just walk up to the wooden gate thats past the cul de sac, go through and you cant miss it.

Who has read this thread (Total: 348) View details