real time web analytics
Report - - Browns Folly Mine - Wiltshire - October 2016 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Browns Folly Mine - Wiltshire - October 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

silentwalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History
Browns Folly Mine is a Bath Stone quarry which was originally part of Monkton Farleigh Mine however when the War Department converted part of the quarry in to an ammunitions store they separated part of the quarry which is the area now known as Browns Folly. The main adit into the quarry was blasted by the military probably to prevent access to the Monkton Farleigh Ammunition Depot connected to Brown's Folly.

Closed in the 1930's, Browns Folly Mine is an SSSI (Special Site of Scientific Interest) because of its national importance for hibernating and roosting bats.

The Explore
Visited with @Porker of the night @Bertie Bollockbrains @Bertrina Bollockbrains and @Oort . We didn't have the pleasure of bumping into the resident creeper but I am sure he was in there somewhere guarding 'his' precious.

Nice chilled couple of hours walk about and then finished up with a pint in the pub, can't complain with that :thumb

On to the pictures,

1F_zpsdsczmrtc.jpg

2F_zpsxxg2tgfu.jpg

3F_zpsmjvrree5.jpg

4F_zps4o2r4mob.jpg

5F_zps01foste5.jpg

6F_zpsbvz4hvhl.jpg

7F_zps48esf2za.jpg

8F_zpsjdrn0pla.jpg

9F_zpsti4izfvi.jpg

10F_zpssxftzouc.jpg

11F_zpsu74kaeqz.jpg