real time web analytics
Report - - Bunker Storm Drain. Warrington. August 2020. | UK Draining Forum | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bunker Storm Drain. Warrington. August 2020.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Xan_Asmodi

Cave Monster
28DL Full Member
I'll echo the Vicar's sentiments, nice to see this again, and it's a travesty that you missed the plug hole! Good pics!

chills

Queller of the uprising
Nice to see this one again. It was one of the first few drains I explored.
Never took my camera though so might just have to go back one day.
It's worth going upstream to the plughole chamber which is similar to the one in Plunger.

I'll echo the Vicar's sentiments, nice to see this again, and it's a travesty that you missed the plug hole! Good pics!

That sounds interesting! Thanks to you both, Xan and Vicar! Really enjoyed Plunger! If I’m about when you decide to take a trip I wouldn’t mind joining you if you don’t mind, Vicar? I know there’s much more to explore including multiple chambers which I’d love to a get a second report of! ✌

Last edited:

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
This looks very cool, would love to give this a go. I've been down more than a few drains in the 20 plus years i've worked for a major utility company but with confined space regs being what they are have never had the opportunity to actually follow the system or explore, have to fill out a stack of risk assessments just to open the lid. Just out of interest do you take a gas monitor with you?

chills

Queller of the uprising
This looks very cool, would love to give this a go. I've been down more than a few drains in the 20 plus years i've worked for a major utility company but with confined space regs being what they are have never had the opportunity to actually follow the system or explore, have to fill out a stack of risk assessments just to open the lid. Just out of interest do you take a gas monitor with you?

No gas monitors needed for this one as it’s a storm drain so only carries surface water, not sewerage. It is however good to know the risks and what you’re walking into.

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
No gas monitors needed for this one as it’s a storm drain so only carries surface water, not sewerage. It is however good to know the risks and what you’re walking into.
In the company i work for we would need to carry a portable gas detector in any confined space as standard procedure, like you say though i guess there's not much risk of explosive gas buildup or oxygen deficiency in a surface water drain. I'm quite interested in doing an underground explore and just interested in how people approach them as it's a whole different ball game to abandoned stuff.

chills

Queller of the uprising
In the company i work for we would need to carry a portable gas detector in any confined space as standard procedure, like you say though i guess there's not much risk of explosive gas buildup or oxygen deficiency in a surface water drain. I'm quite interested in doing an underground explore and just interested in how people approach them as it's a whole different ball game to abandoned stuff.

I wouldn’t call these RCPs confined. It is a different ball game, but as I say, it’s just knowing the risks, laws and having the right kit and attitude as I see it. I’m always happy to offer to show things to people if they’re keen.

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
Not into poo ones myself but these water ones look great, nicely presented bud :)

,,,,,,it’s just knowing the risks, laws and having the right kit.....

What are the laws? I got asked to leave a culvert earlier in the year and couldn't argue my case.
Is it just a trespass like the other stuff we do?

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
Good explore, cracking company and nice snaps! What more could you want!

chills

Queller of the uprising
What are the laws? I got asked to leave a culvert earlier in the year and couldn't argue my case.
Is it just a trespass like the other stuff we do?

As @tallginge said, you normally carry straight on. Last time I was in the Rea with @Punk some neighbour decided to have a go, didn’t really have any point other than we were trespassing by walking on his drive. Continued climbing the ladder and on we went.

Obviously depends who’s speaking to you, but that’s the first time anyone’s actually ‘stopped’ me, it’s just being aware what to say when someone pops up.

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
I crossed someone’s garden to have a look at a culvert and the owner came out his property, strolled over and started chatting about what might be up there. I told him I’d come back with my stuff and have a look. Sadly it was mostly collapsed a little way in. Sound chap though. Think he might have even offered me a cup of tea.

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
It was my first try at a culvert and didn't know the rules.
I didn't go on anyones land as far as I know except the council public carpark where a ladder goes down to the river going through it.
I walked 20-30 foot up the 2 inch deep river and started going under the local shopping centre when security came out and asked who I was and what I was doing, I replied I was having a look up the culvert for personal pleasure and he said its owned by the shopping centre and its dangerous and asked me to leave.
I lied and said i had left a lamp up there i needed to get first and carried on but after another 20ft or so got to a part I needed waders for so turned back. When I came out security said thanks for coming back out and that was that.
Ive since found out its not owned by the shopping centre but didn't know my rights so didn't push it that day.

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
So its just normal exploring rules then?
Civil trespass.
Culvert in question was 53.259814,-1.910338 I thought it was a civil matter if anything but unsure and needing waders I conceded without argument. Next year when it's drier it is going to be a different story though.

Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 388) View details