real time web analytics
Report - - Burmah Castrol, Ellesmere Port, Oct17 | Industrial Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Burmah Castrol, Ellesmere Port, Oct17

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Neil Worrall

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
What exactly went on here? Cant find much info out about these buildings?

Burmah Oil Refinery - originally called Lobitos, the Burmah Oil Trading Limited acquired this site and others in 1966 ( other reports say 1962- not sure which is correct) - the newer of the buildings was the Admin building - not sure when it was built, but I joined in 1974. to one side of that building was the communications and library - it may also have housed a lab at some point - the other side was the canteen and beyond that a training building that also housed the Central Purchasing Department. I'm not sure when Burmah acquired Castrol - some reports indicate 1966 also - Castrol had a lubes plant next door to the refinery - that closed some time later (2008), the refinery closed in 1981 I believe. At that point I had already moved into the Castrol side of the business at the Lubes plant and was part of the export shipping office. The HQ for Burmah Castrol was in Swindon- I moved to the HQ in 1985 - the Ellesmere Port Burmah Admin building was modeled after the HQ building in Swindon. BP acquired Burmah Castrol in 2000. By this time I had moved again- 1991 to Miami - BP moved the Miami operation to Wayne New Jersey in 2008 - I worked for 2 years from home till 2010 and then was made redundant ( just over 36 years - owch!) But I still have some great memories from all parts of this business and still wear my Castrol colors as you can see in my profile photo!

Last edited:

Neil Worrall

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I would love to use some of these photo's as graphic elements in rhymes I write - sometimes they are humorous, sometimes serious, but tend to reflect a memory of my childhood and youth. I post them on my personal facebook page or in a couple of select FB groups- (Ellesmere Port memory lane and British Baby Boomers.) and would welcome your permission to use a few of these - I will of course add credit for the images.

Neil Worrall

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Attachments

• burmah disrepair.jpg
    burmah disrepair.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 26

Baggy trousers

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good report that chap, im gonna have to revisit it soon as ive missed a few things out that id like to take a few snaps of. Be interesting to see if its changed much since my report on the place.

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good report that chap, im gonna have to revisit it soon as ive missed a few things out that id like to take a few snaps of. Be interesting to see if its changed much since my report on the place.

Oh i wouldn't if i were you, its now full to the brim of security and high tech wizardry to keep you out and now armed police turn up...

Baggy trousers

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Oh i wouldn't if i were you, its now full to the brim of security and high tech wizardry to keep you out and now armed police turn up...
Jesus really?? Well that makes sense then, as ive not seen too many reports about it of late.
Ah well, theres always next year, cheers for the heads up Host!

Who has read this thread (Total: 205) View details