real time web analytics
Report - - Burnley Empire Theatre, Burnley, May 2015 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Burnley Empire Theatre, Burnley, May 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Burnley Empire Theatre

IMG_26607.jpg

History

Originally called the Empire Theatre of Varieties, this theatre opened in Burnley in 1894 with capacity to seat 1935 people. Funded by the Directors of the Victoria Opera House Limited.

In 1995 the building became abandoned and has rapidly deteriorated both internally and externally.

In 2013 it was reported that the owners of the Empire Theatre were given 8 weeks to make emergency repairs mainly to the exterior which was thought to be at risk of partial collapse onto nearby footpaths. However it does not appear that anyone from the Lancashire Theatre Company (the registered owners) have come forward to claim ownership.

The Visit

I have not been to many theatre's so far, so when a visit to this place was mentioned I thought i would give it a go, as I had seen some good shots from the place. Upon entering it became clear that this place was going to be one of the most weather-wrecked places I had ever been to, the staircases were rotten, the walls were falling down and it smelt like death.

Pretty hard to take photos in places this trashed, so please excuse the crap photos!

[1]
IMG_26612.jpg

[2]
IMG_26610.jpg

[3] & [4]
IMG_26620.jpg
IMG_26676.jpg

[5] & [6]
IMG_26645.jpg
IMG_26663.jpg

[7]
IMG_26677.jpg

[8]
IMG_26688.jpg

[9]
IMG_26698.jpg

Full Gallery HERE

Last edited:

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Don't think these are crap pictures mate! Think you've got some great shots here :)

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
Great pics pal, considering the light in there is shit the have come out great. :)

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Never seen banned on someone's user name before... unclefester has been naughty it seems :(

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Oh dear.. maybe his had something to do with him talking about breaking in to a building with no walls haha