real time web analytics
Report - - Burslem Working Mens Club, Stoke-on-Derp, March 2013 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Burslem Working Mens Club, Stoke-on-Derp, March 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

BAJ

Belgian Anus Jabber
28DL Full Member
Many thanks to the owner who granted my permission.

Cant find any history for this actual club but heres a bit on WMCs.

Working men's clubs are a type of private social club which were first created in the 19th century in industrial areas of the United Kingdom, particularly the North of England, the Midlands and many parts of the South Wales Valleys, to provide recreation and education for working class men and their families. They also began at this time in Australia.

This place really is massive with 3 floors and a cellar, mainly trashed by the copper fairys and at some point looks as though there has been a rave in the main room as all of the walls have been painted black. Not alot to see other than fireplaces and plenty of paper work dating the 1920s.

Externals

BWMC0026_zps7e1e0e7e.jpg

BWMC0030_zpsf6a46030.jpg

Inside

BWMC0016_zps505c81b1.jpg

BWMC0014_zps015e6ea6.jpg

BWMC0015_zps0f8407bf.jpg

BWMC0012_zpsc6819cff.jpg

BWMC0009_zps37355590.jpg

BWMC0008_zps22e963ed.jpg

BWMC0005_zps27bc6c14.jpg

BWMC0004_zps4a510011.jpg

GhostOfChristmasPast

28DL Member
28DL Member
WOW.
I grew up in this WMC as my grandfather was the secretary/landlord between 1960-2003. This WMC during the 70s and 80s was packed to the rafters in both function rooms. During the 90s with the dimise of the local pottery industry the member numbers also decreased. I spent many Christmases and friday/Saturday nights until the early hours as a child in this club, a truly fond memory of a past age. Almost all who frequented this establishment are either passed away or very old. Such a shame to see these pictures and the state it was in after it closed 3 years after my grandad passed away. There was a fire upstairs in the late 80s and it was never repaired, God knows how it was passed as structurally sound to open as a business premises looking back. It was broken into many times and mainly the fruit machines were robbed. Such a time warp.

Thank you for sharing your urban exploration pictures