real time web analytics
Report - - Burton-upon-Trent Magistrates' Court - Burton-upon-Trent - April 2021 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Burton-upon-Trent Magistrates' Court - Burton-upon-Trent - April 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jtza

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Burton-upon-Trent Magistrates’ Court

Visited with @DustySensorPhotography and separately with @UrbandonedTeam and @huyt.urb

DSC02552.jpg

Burton-upon-Trent Magistrates’ Court was built between 1909 and 1910 and designed by architect, Henry Beck in the English baroque style. The design itself was base off of London’s Old Bailey Courts. The builder, Richard Kershaw, was responsible for its construction after completing the fire station and general post office in the town prior. A lot of pride went into the designing and building of the courts and high-quality Portland stone was selected to represent confidence in how well the town was doing in the early 20th century. Apart from early amendments to the layout of the building, it has remained almost identical since along with a much more recent extension. Inside there are over 50 rooms, 3 court rooms (2 adult and one family court)

The magistrates shut in 2016 due to cutbacks and has been bought by a restoration company who have made little progress with the site. Locals see the historical importance of the courts and hope that the restoration project serves the building well. There have been plenty of ideas shared such as a museum for the town all the way to a Starbucks (which would be a huge waste) but no final decision.

An architectural drawing of the building, drawn in 1910.

Magistrates1910.jpg

The building during 1911.

Mag-Court-Old.jpg

And finally, the courts today.

DSC02556.jpg

It’s safe to say myself and @DustySensorPhotography were a little taken a back stepping inside this one for the first time. We had just had a few fails in Derby and decided to come over and tackle some of the spots in Burton. On maps it appeared we were passing the pin, so we thought we would take a look. I didn’t remember pinning it myself and had no idea what it would be like if we were to succeed. The external of the structure was enough to commit us to finding an entry point and it didn’t take too long, even with it being in plain view of the police station. Once we had found the main courtroom it, I finally realised I knew the spot, but nonetheless had a great few hours seeing the entirety of the it with no issues.

Before any internals, a couple more externals.

DSC02554.jpg

DSC02551-2.jpg

The power inside was still fully functional, and parts were so clean even after 5 years of closure that it felt active. The architecture inside didn’t disappoint either.

This beautiful waiting room was the connector for the entire site and was the first thing anyone would have seen when coming in. The main courtroom was on the right-hand side with standard offices to the left.

DSC02482.jpg

DSC02533.jpg

DSC02479.jpg

The public entrance to the old part of the courthouse. The modern section which held the remaining two courts became the main entrance to the site when it was added much later on.

DSC02519.jpg

One of the two doorways leading into the main adult courtroom.

DSC02515.jpg

Court No.1, completely intact. The detailing in here was incredible from the roof work to the intricate magistrate’s chair.

DSC02539.jpg

DSC02487.jpg

DSC02537.jpg

Inside the dock.

DSC02534.jpg

Gorgeous glasswork.

DSC02542.jpg

The magistrate’s chair was also designed in the Baroque style taking further influence from the Old Bailey.

DSC02491.jpg

DSC02495-2.jpg

The magistrate’s chair at the Old Bailey for comparison.

Old-Bailey01.jpg

Closeups.

DSC02536.jpg

DSC02535.jpg

Outside the main courtroom and toward the public entrance was the old court No.2. This courtroom stopped operation at some point and transitioned to the modern court shown later. No.2 sat underneath the impressive dome but unfortunately the ceiling wasn’t as impressive as you might have imagined. The size and design were still stunning, especially the huge stained-glass window boasting the town’s coat of arms.

DSC02485-2.jpg

A landscape shot for context.

DSC02486.jpg

The only remaining areas in the oldest section of the complex was a boardroom/office that followed the same design as the rest of the building and the cells.

Office.

DSC02492.jpg

As for cells, we couldn’t find any on both explores. The stairwell inside the dock lead to an underground section which was gated (and flooded) with the classic prison like gates but with no actual holding cells.

DSC02521.jpg

DSC02523-2.jpg

After that we ventured over into the much newer section of the site. Two more courtrooms could be found here, and the architectural differences were vast. To begin with, the main entrance.

DSC02512.jpg

Another angle (awfully shot).

DSC02496.jpg

Above this was the waiting room which had all the chairs in situ and was well lit by the arched windows.

DSC02530.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:

jtza

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Up here, courts 2 and 3 could be found, both a stark contrast to the main courtroom.

Court No.2.

DSC02503.jpg

DSC02507.jpg

Cassette player.

DSC02506.jpg

Corridor leading to an office and court No.3.

DSC02527.jpg

An office with a lovely, padded door.

DSC02508.jpg

Court No.3 which was sadly empty.

DSC02509.jpg

Another office/meeting space, the TV worked in this room!

DSC02499.jpg

Stairs and corridors

DSC02526.jpg

DSC02524.jpg

To finish off our first visit, we headed to the roof to see inside above the stained glass of the main courtroom and got a closer look at the dome and what was inside, as well as a lovely view over one of Burton’s main roads.

Above Court No.1s stained-glass.

DSC02517.jpg

DSC02516.jpg

On the roof, trying our best not to be seen by any police.

DSC02543.jpg

Inside the dome.

DSC02544.jpg

A shot looking down Guild Street.

DSC02549.jpg

And that’s all, thanks for reading!​

jtza

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Veeerrry nice! No holding cells beneath the courts?
We couldn't find them on both occasions, the prison-like gates were the nearest we got. Going through them led underneath the main courtroom but no cells were down there.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Excellent, was wondering if anyone was going to try this place seeing as it's right next to another 'point of interest'

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Beautiful this. Great photos, stunning stuff. Seeing inside the dome was interesting. Major architectural splendour. :thumb

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Very nice, it certainly is a stunning building. Good to see it hasn't changed at all since I visited 1½ years ago, I do hope all those features will be preserved when it's redeveloped.

raisinwing

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Fair play getting this cracked.

Looks better than I ever imagined it would, was half expecting it to be butchered inside.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Seem to of missed this post, I tried this a year or so back, couldnt find a way in though, think Ill have another crack soon.
Looks beautiful, very well photographed