real time web analytics
Busy Bees, Leicester - August 2016 | Yorrick | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Busy Bees, Leicester - August 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
Lubbesthorpe Brook used to run through some fields here.
Then 20 odd years ago they diverted the brook through an rcp and built the Meridian Leisure Park on top.

We’ve looked at this a couple of times, but bid it off as looking too stoopy, too concrete, too new, too locked etc.

Got a bit of help from the fairies and finally went for a look solo and then a week later with @KM_Punk and @Lost Explorer.

The infall is at the bottom corner of a car park

1.jpg

What a surprise for Leicester! Non-stoopy 6’ RCP.

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

Lots of 6’ RCP with one bend mid-way

4.jpg

7.jpg

From here it skirts a housing estate and Asda, crosses more fields and joins up with the River Soar.​

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That infall metal structure looks very recent. What does the blue sign say in the middle? Good drain!!

Yorrick

28DL Full Member
That infall metal structure looks very recent.

The handrails were replaced about a month ago as they were a bit crap and wobbly, but the grill, deck, hatch and steps are twenty-odd years old. FYI the deck, hatch and steps are plastic.

What does the blue sign say in the middle?

Just a standard EA sign

IMAG1460.jpg

Good drain!!

A bit too much new concrete, but it scratched a Saturday afternoon itch and at least we were wrong about stoopy.

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for the info, those railings do look shiny. Interesting to hear about the plastic. The sign fetish part of me was hoping for some ominous warning like: "Danger! Risk of Drowning! Do not Enter!". Sadly, not many like that in the UK, or not that I have seen in Bolton/manc:(

stonedslothm4n

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for the info, those railings do look shiny. Interesting to hear about the plastic. The sign fetish part of me was hoping for some ominous warning like: "Danger! Risk of Drowning! Do not Enter!". Sadly, not many like that in the UK, or not that I have seen in Bolton/manc:(
I found one in Coventry that says danger of death and has a camera pointing directly at the grill about 3ft away lol

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Interesting, a camera pointing at the grill you say? Does it go under anything that could warrant such security, or is it for liability/stopping trespass reasons?

stonedslothm4n

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Interesting, a camera pointing at the grill you say? Does it go under anything that could warrant such security, or is it for liability/stopping trespass reasons?[/ it might just be to watch for flooding etc n just goes under a few houses, but might split I'm not sure

Yorrick

28DL Full Member
Does it go under anything that could warrant such security, or is it for liability/stopping trespass reasons?

I've seen a few cameras, but only on grilled in-falls. For instance Buttonhole in-fall has one but the out-fall doesn't. I always assumed they were to monitor flow / levels / blockages / potential flooding.

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That would be my reasoning, I assumed they could be remotely activated and linked by gprs/radio signal to the E.A/ relevant waterboard.

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
The sign fetish part of me was hoping for some ominous warning like: "Danger! Risk of Drowning! Do not Enter!".

I think the signs are there to the EA's ass if someone gets killed in there, can also serve as a deterrent for kids

I found one in Coventry that says danger of death and has a camera pointing directly at the grill about 3ft away lol

I've seen a few cameras, but only on grilled in-falls. For instance Buttonhole in-fall has one but the out-fall doesn't. I always assumed they were to monitor flow / levels / blockages / potential flooding.

This has always been my assumption for all drain cameras, I know this is the case for Buttonhole.