Web
Analytics
Report - - Butterley Engineering - Ripley, Derbyshire - June 2017 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Butterley Engineering - Ripley, Derbyshire - June 2017

moz88

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Stumbled on this site by chance whilst looking for a quarry; and was glad I did as the grounds are pretty expansive and the main industrial building is quite awe inspiring on a bright sunny day, especially once you get inside. Having glanced over some of the reports here I felt I'd add my own, given recent fire damage. Had a good mooch about but I did not manage the top floor of the industrial building, which may also be damaged by fire although the ground floor ceiling was intact (see photos).

Background:
The Butterley Company was an English manufacturing firm founded by Benjamin Outram and Company in 1790. Portions of it existed until 2009. The company was a major iron works provider for more than two centuries and had a hand in the construction of many iconic buildings, including St Pancras Station, Vauxhall Bridge, Portsmouth's Spinnaker Tower, the Falkirk Wheel and many more.

Historical pics and interesting facts:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/derby/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8470000/8470702.stm
The building was subject to an arson attack by some arsehole in April 2017:
http://www.nottinghampost.com/six-f...ict-building/story-30271021-detail/story.html

PICS!

Smoke stained wall:
20170617-_MG_9568_zpstcpsauaa.jpg

Fire Damage:
20170617-_MG_9578_zpsolct122a.jpg

20170617-_MG_9641_zpsn8rwrlzl.jpg

20170617-_MG_9638_zpsghjx9vkp.jpg

20170617-_MG_9621_zpszamjzbsu.jpg

20170617-_MG_9626_zpsw0ffqdcz.jpg

20170617-_MG_9604_zpsopppdnep.jpg

The office building loft was a nice bonus feature
20170617-_MG_9671_zpst1hy6kjo.jpg

Last edited:

Thumper

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great atmospheric photographs! Interesting place with lots of great features, a real shame about the fire but doesn't seem to have done masses of damage, thankfully.

Lolz101

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice set of images, I really like this site lots of ridiculous fun getting from one building to the other :thumb