real time web analytics
Report - - Cambridge Military Hospital- Aldershot - January 2021 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cambridge Military Hospital- Aldershot - January 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Samus

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
After speaking to a friend and I decided to check this place out as I remember going there as a child.
513D3C71-949B-4F01-A6E8-F1D5093C04CE.jpeg

It is a building site and there are signs stating there is security but I didn’t see anyone and I was able to just walk onto the site with no trouble at all.

Opened July 18th 1979, the design of this hospital was based on another hospital, the Royal Herbert Hospital, Woolwich and was named for the cousin of Queen Victoria, the Duke of Cambridge, Prince George.
A32321DB-2A1B-497F-BB7D-303DFE874345.jpeg

The hospital saw many extensions over the years, including the Louise Margaret Hospital ward in 1897 which aided many military wives & children, including my own family!

The hospital was also the first to see frontline casualties during World War I and was also the first place within the British Empire to perform plastic surgeries when a unit was created by Sir Harold Gillies in 1915 on his return from France, where he had fallen in love with facial reconstruction & learned the practise.
3F73654D-6374-4B8C-BCD4-B7EE989D080E.jpeg

The hospital began to let civilians in when it saw a decline in its military obligations, though did continue to pioneer frontline supplies and portable operating theatres.

Due to a discovery of asbestos & the high costs of running the old building, The Cambridge Military Hospital closed its doors on the 2nd February 1996 & housing permission was granted in 2014, with work commencing on turning the hospital into housing.
E5E1A90D-AF12-45CA-B4CD-EDD4AE546ECC.jpeg
I remember coming here when I was a child, my family were military and we lived in Aldershot, some of my friends were born there and whilst I don’t remember much, what I do was a very stark contrast to what I saw.

What I remembered was a very white place, white walls, nurses in very clean white uniforms, a very sterile smell wherever you turned and the overall air that this was a no nonsense place.
12AA12F0-4A34-434E-9693-8BB96FF7EF88.jpeg
It was busy and quiet, a no running in the halls place where everything ran on a tight schedule and the nurses, though kind, had zero time for your complaints or nonsense today.

Today it was a different kind of peaceful, there was no chattering, no busy feet and whilst still beautiful, it was a decaying beauty that whilst sad to see, was still vastly superior to the housing estate that surrounds it.
EAF0B2B3-2BE4-4B95-9A92-BC26B908A75D.jpeg

I am glad I went today, that I got to go inside and explore places I wasn’t allowed to go, run in the hallways and just see a stunning building that will be lost soon, the kind of place they don’t make anymore.

Last edited:

chills

Queller of the uprising
Not a bad report there. All I’d say is don’t advertise the date you visited, you just need to pop the month and year in the title. This is a public site known to be viewed by security and owners. Same goes for your first line, kind of an open invitation to anybody who wanted to have a go.

Samus

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Not a bad report there. All I’d say is don’t advertise the date you visited, you just need to pop the month and year in the title. This is a public site known to be viewed by security and owners. Same goes for your first line, kind of an open invitation to anybody who wanted to have a go.

Thank you so much, I shall remember that lol & have edited the post.

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
Nice to see the main building, I assume you dodged the clock tower area with all the alarms?

Samus

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice to see the main building, I assume you dodged the clock tower area with all the alarms?

It is a beautiful building, I loved that downstairs felt more like tombs whilst upstairs was fancier.
Yes I did, as I was on my own I stuck to the main building, close to an exit I knew I could easily get out of.

Wally_urbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice to see this pop up again. I belive the infomous bleeding doors are no more aparantly

Who has read this thread (Total: 454) View details