Web
Analytics
Question - - camera query | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - camera query

faulty_compasses

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
hi all, i need a camera, mine committed suicide, can anyone recommend a cheap but decent camera? i know nothing about them so any information on it would be grand.

cheers :thumb

faulty_compasses

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
cheers dude, i literally want it to be good enough to have a clear picture, but nothing fancy with loads of complicated settings? any suggestions?

Styru

Admin
Staff member
Admin
So, first 2 questions

1) how much can you spend?

2) what do you want to photograph (are you into underground, rooftops, day, night, etc?)

faulty_compasses

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
i suppose i should have said, my bad :banghead

1. i don't really know what the asking price for cameras are at all, im guessing £150 would be enough ?

2. i will want to use it socially as well, but yeah underground, and at night mainly

faulty_compasses

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Canon 20D may be able to be picked up for that much theyre quite good cameras i had one for years.
Thanks dude
What kind of camera is that? probably going to sound ridiculous but do you think an iPhone would produce sufficient pictures to create a report to avoid the fetid pit?

Styru

Admin
Staff member
Admin
do you think an iPhone would produce sufficient pictures to create a report to avoid the fetid pit?
The most expensive DSLR in the world can produce a report that is not even good enough for the fetid pit, and a camera phone, used well, can produce an acceptable report.

It is about so much more than buying kit - photographs are taken by people, not lumps of metal/plastic/glass - it's the thought and work that goes into taking pics that has the greatest influence. :thumb

Styru

Admin
Staff member
Admin
At the end of the day, get any decent make camera, and make sure it has a long(ish) max exposure time - 15 seconds+ or better still a 'B' setting.

Don't get too hung up on the need to spend lots of wonga.

This picture:

IM004632.jpg

Shows spungletrumpet using a 99p, Ebay bought, camera (a camera he produced some cracking shots with)

It was shot on a 12 year old, 2.1MP compact that I found in a bin, and that is held together with an elastoplast, a bolt, and a bit of metal I literally found in the gutter

These are from the same 'bin-find-freebie' camera...

uj.jpg

IM004787.jpg

IM004832.jpg

IM004794.jpg

IM004793.jpg

IM004646.jpg

ot.jpg

Granted they don't match my DSLR - but for the price of some batteries and a plaster they are perfectly useable, and represent a camera that - whilst I'd hate to lose/break it - owes me nothing - so the day it does finally fall/drown/get lost/get stolen (actually, forget the last one - if you'd seen it, no-one would pinch it) or whatever - nothing lost :p:

.​

faulty_compasses

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Amazing! Thanks a lot, I understand it's not about the kit it's about how it's used I was just looking for a starter :) I know nothing about cameras, point and press the button is about it, what is exposure time and the b setting you said?

Krypton

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That said, i personally wouldn't use an iPhone to take your pics.

If anything you want a proper, but like Styru said, it doesnt have to be anything amazing, but when you stick it on a tripod and do long exposures the pics can be really good.

On an iPhone, you'll have the flash and the flash looks shit on most pics.