real time web analytics
Question - - Can You Identify This Asylum? | Asylums and Hospitals | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Can You Identify This Asylum?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
I dont know if this might be of use to you.

The asylums you can see on this forum are county asylums. The mass of county were built under an 1845 act, it was called, The Pauper County Lunatic Asylums act, every county in england had to build an asylum for its pauper lunactics. No one seems to have come across the likes of your photo, so...

There were other acts prior to the 1845 act and many came under 'The Madhouse Act' 1774. Under that act anyone could turn their abode or anything else into an asylum. Now, under that act there seems to have been an abundance of abuse & one not uncommon form of abuse was to have a 'wealthy' somone in the family judged insane ( I cant remember the proceedure, simple though) and end up with all they had & owned.
The house in your photo might come from that era & be something once owned by someone whose beneficiaries had declared them insane. I certainly does not resemble anything from the 1845 act or after. So, maybe you could look further back into history, it looks more like something which existed from the elizibethan origins & turned into a private lunatic asylum or private madhouse for someones beneficiary purposes.
Hope that might widen your research options.

Asylums get very generalised on here. The likes of Pool Parc and Haperbury to name but two that were never Asylums..