real time web analytics
Report - - Cannon Brewery - Sheffield - 30 July 2011 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cannon Brewery - Sheffield - 30 July 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Franky_Family

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The Cannon Brewery was, at one time, Yorkshire's largest producer of Stones bitter and Carling Black Label.
According to the information, provided by wikipedia:
In 1865 Stones took over the Neepsend Brewery of Shepherd, Green and Hatfield. This became the "Cannon Brewery". William Stones became a limited company in 1895.

During the 1950s there was a period of consolidation in United Kingdom's brewing industry. In 1954 Stones purchased Mappin's Brewery of Rotherham, shutting the brewery down the following year. The takeover added around 100 extra public houses to their tied estate. The same year they partnered with Tennant Brothers to acquire the Sheffield Free Brewery, closing the brewery and dividing the estate between them. In 1955 profits had greatly increased to £135,276 or almost £3 million in 2010 prices.[14] In 1959 William Stones also bought Ward and Sons of Swinton, well known local bottlers of beer (including Guinness) and mineral water for £100,000 (£1.8 million in 2010 prices). In 1965 the company was valued at £5 million.

The Cannon Brewery, with its tied estate of 257 public houses and a further 60 or so off-licences, located throughout South Yorkshire and surrounding counties, was bought by Bass Charrington in 1968. The takeover was a friendly one, and £9 million was offered for the company, and recommended by the William Stones board. Bass Charrington already owned 14 per cent of the company's shares. William Stones had made a pre-tax profit of £629,000 in the previous year, equivalent to £9 million in 2010. The Cannon brewery continued until April 1999 when it closed with the loss of around 60 jobs. The beers that it had produced were Stones Bitter, Light Mild and Mild, and Bass Special, Bass Light and Bass Mild. The brand continues however; the pasteurised beer is brewed by brand owners Molson Coors at their Burton upon Trent brewery, whilst the cask version is contract brewed by Everards.

I took over a hundred pictures of this fantastic place, but here are just the highlights. Some of my best pics and a couple of my favourites.

GEDC0112.jpg

The main entrance.

GEDC0113.jpg

GEDC0115.jpg

The gates which were the main entrance/exit for trucks.

GEDC0108.jpg

One side of the main courtyard.

GEDC0107.jpg

Other side of the main courtyard.

GEDC0002.jpg

GEDC0024.jpg

GEDC0072.jpg

Standard dark corridor shot.

GEDC0091.jpg

GEDC0095.jpg

The main brewing room. I just love the architecture in here. Huge sweeping organic curves. You just don't get buildings like this any more.

GEDC0103.jpg

On the very top floor. Equipment for the lift.

GEDC0088.jpg

GEDC0065.jpg

GEDC0084.jpg

GEDC0097.jpg

I don't really know what these were. Some kind of large measuring jugs. They were broken, lots of glass everywhere.

GEDC0105.jpg

View of the site from the roof.

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details