real time web analytics
Report - - carbrook old outfall, sheffield , 7.7.19 | UK Draining Forum | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - carbrook old outfall, sheffield , 7.7.19

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
went down to the outfall of nice and steady this morning and lifted the 3 lids on the five weirs walk
DSCN0816.JPG
the first one was totally blocked
DSCN0817.JPG
the second one which i think lines up with the first one was very silted up this may at some point have drained out were TG shone his torch ?
DSCN0819.JPG
last one is in the nice and steady drain just before the outfall no penstock ere !
DSCN0818.JPG
after fridays heavy rain water level was up quite high

Parky

The Devil Is in the Details
Regular User
That is most definitely the question. I don't think it'll connect up with whatever's behind the penstock but it might connect up with Carrbrook elsewhere. Took this looking rightwards out from the end of nice n steady. Same side of culvert as nearby penstock is.

DSC00281.JPG

Right pipe may also have been an overflow from the sewer at some point but doesn't look like it's seen much action, not recently anyway
my theory to this penstock is that this is where the water goes if that giant penstock in the culvert is opened, possibly used to divert the brook if any construction or blockage is happening as the penstock in the culvert clearly has a drop into the culvert itself. thats just my theory

Parky

Regular User
my theory to this penstock is that this is where the water goes if that giant penstock in the culvert is opened, possibly used to divert the brook if any construction or blockage is happening as the penstock in the culvert clearly has a drop into the culvert itself. thats just my theory
and plus, i dont see why they would need to divert it to a sewer or anything, the penstock itself is controlled from ground level as if you stand near the penstock and look up there is actually light ,if you watched my youtube video you would have saw it

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User

Yup sounds likely that's what happens. Sounds like a mini version of the works in manc - you should check it out. Not many places where an underground river can (or could) be diverted into another pipe that also goes to a bigger river

Parky

Regular User
Yup sounds likely that's what happens. Sounds like a mini version of the works in manc - you should check it out. Not many places where an underground river can (or could) be diverted into another pipe that also goes to a bigger river
ive seen not much of the works, living in sheffield im not sure of its location but i will definitely visit it some day when i can.

popebenedictus

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Right pipe may also have been an overflow from the sewer at some point but doesn't look like it's seen much action, not recently anyway

I think the right pipe at the outfall was a mill goit from Brightside Weir, that ran through Brightside Works. If you look on the old maps there's a section of open water in the Brightside Works next to Weedon St
1647950254381.png

Parky

Regular User
I think the right pipe at the outfall was a mill goit from Brightside Weir, that ran through Brightside Works. If you look on the old maps there's a section of open water in the Brightside Works next to Weedon St
1647950254381.png
interesting stuff.

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Think you may be right , I have tried to go up the right hand pipe its clogged with oily mud silt but it diddnt stop me trying ! Ratchet strapped a square 25 litre plastic container to the drains cart and used it as a sledge to spread my weight so i diddnt sink in the mud and then after about 60 meters it got more boggy then more water than mud so used it to float on ! Absolutely stank like pond gas every step realised bubbles through the oily muddy water , The pipe bends to the left at first then goes on a bit more went past 1 manhole before bending over to the right then came to a very low stone arch of old type construction could not get under the arch without lying in the filthy oily water so was about turn and back out and have a bath in the river Don ! Thinking about it now it did head of in the general direction as stated by popebenedictus and the amount of oil and swarf in the water must mean its come from one of the factory's I wonder if the penstock ( as seen in the Nice and Steady reports ) was the entrance to this mill goit in years gone bye ?

Parky

Regular User
Think you may be right , I have tried to go up the right hand pipe its clogged with oily mud silt but it diddnt stop me trying ! Ratchet strapped a square 25 litre plastic container to the drains cart and used it as a sledge to spread my weight so i diddnt sink in the mud and then after about 60 meters it got more boggy then more water than mud so used it to float on ! Absolutely stank like pond gas every step realised bubbles through the oily muddy water , The pipe bends to the left at first then goes on a bit more went past 1 manhole before bending over to the right then came to a very low stone arch of old type construction could not get under the arch without lying in the filthy oily water so was about turn and back out and have a bath in the river Don ! Thinking about it now it did head of in the general direction as stated by popebenedictus and the amount of oil and swarf in the water must mean its come from one of the factory's I wonder if the penstock ( as seen in the Nice and Steady reports ) was the entrance to this mill goit in years gone bye ?
you might be right actually, i need to have a look at the old outfall but just need to find its area via google maps.

Parky

Regular User
just checking on this again, i do believe that past that wooden board is most likely that penstock valve, ive looked on old maps and the carbrook DOES take a long detour to the old outfall, even on new maps it seems to show the same thing, so i do believe that the old outfall does eventually join up with that penstock but has since been blocked off for whatever reason :oo ive had a poke about on that penstock in nice n steady to see if i can see under as it does have a slight gap (its so slighly open) but i cant get my head low enough! this is probably also why the outfall is so deep, in time of flood it probably does get infiltrated flow from nice n steady as that penstock isnt shut fully ! thats just my theory, that penstock in n&s is operated above ground so next time i go down i will get coordinates (the penstock chamber does have internet connection as i had found out! good to check the weather mid explore actually!) ill try and locate the penstock chamber above ground it somewhere next to centertainment as i have located older sections on maps, and whatever was once past that penstock is not as recent as what the brook flows through now. check back here soon if i find anymore info!

Parky

Regular User
circled in red in the nice n steady outfall, where the carbrook now outfalls, as you can see via the blue line, the brook does not go in that direction and it instead follows the blue line which takes us to the old outfall, so all these maps have only shown the old outfall route! circled in orange is what i believe to be the penstock chamber as looking at old maps it shows to go opposite direction to where nice n steady goes, so behind the penstock must be the wooden board that stopped you!!
nice n steady map work.png

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Good work on checking this out in the very last bit of the old carbrook explore I could hear a forklift truck operating above me so I think you might be right

popebenedictus

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I can tell you what I do know. the Car Brook culvert splits in half at a chamber in the car park of Fedex on Surbiton Street here one leg goes under meadowhall retail park then down weedon street, the other leg goes down the aptly named Crabrook Street (clues in the name)

1665438357206.png

If you want to know more message me directly

Parky

Regular User
I can tell you what I do know. the Car Brook culvert splits in half at a chamber in the car park of Fedex on Surbiton Street here one leg goes under meadowhall retail park then down weedon street, the other leg goes down the aptly named Crabrook Street (clues in the name)

1665438357206.png

If you want to know more message me directly
Looking at the shape of that chamber (and even the manhole cover) that definitely looks like the penstock chamber, thanks for this how did you work this out? map or just general knowledge?

Who has read this thread (Total: 351) View details