real time web analytics
Report - - Cave, Chaple Woods, Nr Morpeth | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cave, Chaple Woods, Nr Morpeth

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

R

R-Mutt

Hello! This is my first post so any feedback appreciated. I have done a few sites recently so will get a couple of other reports up soon. Chose this for my first one as couldn't find any reports on it already here but that could just be down to my search efforts. It's a bit different from the other sites I've visited as well. Here is a flash earth link showing the approx location of the cave:

Zoom Earth | LIVE weather map, storm tracker, rain radar

It's past the viaduct over the Wansbeck about 200 yrds, just off the path. I believe it may be part of an old quarry as this wood is often referred to as Quarry woods. The date 1865 is engraved into the stone outside the entrance on the left with some initials underneath.

Here is the entrance (Lots of spiders)
Cave003.jpg

Cave004-1.jpg

and the view from the inside

Cave005-1.jpg

The cave extends about 30-40ish meters back and opens out a little bit at the end (Past the black void in the photographs). It does go further but you would have to be very small to go any further (you already have to slide along belly down to get in to the 'chamber'). I lit the place with candles in recesses along the way down and this is the light used to take the photographs. Focus and exposure posed challenges but a few shots came out alright. We also had a gas lantern but didn't use this to illuminate the photographs.

Here's some shots of the inside of the cave. There were strange small black fungi growing in the cave that I wish I had photographed but maybe next time.

Cave010-1.jpg

Cave029.jpg

Cave019-1.jpg

Cave030.jpg

Cave020.jpg

Cave026.jpg

Cave011-1.jpg

Looking back towards the entrance from a short way in

Cave012-1.jpg

Cave031.jpg

Cave034.jpg

My friend who came with me, included to attempt illustrate the size of the cave (It's quite narrow/small in places)

Cave025.jpg

Not the biggest of caves but worth a visit if your in the area, a bit of a challenge to photograph but aren't all dark subterranean locations ;)