real time web analytics
Report - - De Belle Vue caves and witch’s kitchen-December 2023 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - De Belle Vue caves and witch’s kitchen-December 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Elcamino;)

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good afternoon Blade Runners, today I’m going going to talk about what I was doing with my £200 monthly train ticket to Canterbury. And that’s “having a break while switching trains” at Ramsgate so I can do some exploring when I’m not at work.

The Witch’s Kitchen
The Witch’s kitchen cave is also referred to the Catacombs and is believed to be dug by smugglers. I read somewhere that the layout was designed to loop and go in on itself as a result of this cave being a trick cave to mislead those trying to find smuggler caves. Special thanks to @obscurity for helping me find this one. Quite an interesting little system as with some cool names! I also found a smaller cave outside although it went nowhere.
IMG_7975.jpeg

IMG_7974.jpeg

IMG_7976.jpeg

IMG_7984.jpeg

Smaller cave on the outside
IMG_7969.jpeg

IMG_7968.jpeg

De Belle Vue Caves

After a frustrating climb up a concrete wall and the world’s weakest cliff-face I went searching for an entrance to the Belle Vue caves. These are also believed to have been smuggler’s caves but ones that supplies would have been moved through unlike with the Witch’s Kitchen.
The first tunnel is very tight and slopes upwards until you reach some kind of shaft with a pipe in; god knows why.

IMG_7993.jpeg

IMG_7998.jpeg

The second cave here is still tight at parts but much easier to get around, and better if you ask me. There’s a part of this tunnel that is in the shape of a room with brick walls clearly added at a later date; leading me to believe this place could have been an air raid shelter in the war. The tunnel gets bricked off randomly but is believed to have originally connected with a pub where the goods would have been smuggled to!
IMG_8014.jpeg

IMG_8018.jpeg

IMG_8013.jpeg

IMG_8023.jpeg

IMG_8004.jpeg

Those who came here 10-15 years ago will be familiar with another tunnel here but it’s been given a locked door now-although there’s now a neat lil sign above it referring to the place as a Pirate Cave which is quite funny n cool!

IMG_8032.jpeg

Thanks for reading motherlickas!:brew

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
Haha I haven't seen that door at the base of the cliffs. I wonder when that was installed. That last tunnel has stairs up to the basement of the pub and a shitty wooden door. I assume that's why they increased the security. Shame as it was the most interesting of the tunnels along that stretch of cliff.

Elcamino;)

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Haha I haven't seen that door at the base of the cliffs. I wonder when that was installed. That last tunnel has stairs up to the basement of the pub and a shitty wooden door. I assume that's why they increased the security. Shame as it was the most interesting of the tunnels along that stretch of cliff.
Yeah it looked like the most interesting one in the Youtube videos as well-but if the only door they had was shitty I guess it makes sense that they’d seal the place-although it would’ve been better if they just replaced the wooden door🤣