real time web analytics
Report - - Chapelcross Nuclear Power Station - March 2023 | UK Power Stations | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Chapelcross Nuclear Power Station - March 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
When it comes to exploring, you always want more, something bigger. I keep thinking this is not enough. But it's driving me mad, going out of my head. Is a nuclear power station too much? I keep asking myself, wondering how I keep closing my eyes but I can't block it out. Want to fly to a place where it's just you and me? Nobody else so we can be free.

As soon as you cross that fenceline everything changes. I'm in serious shit, I feel totally lost. I'm all mixed up, feeling cornered and rushed. They say it's my fault but I want it so much. When they stop and stare, don't worry me, 'cause I'm feeling for her what she's feeling for me, I can try to pretend, I can try to forget. But it's driving me mad, going out of my head.

0_Chapelcross-nuclear-fusion-bid.jpg

Turbine Hall

The turbine hall houses all 8 fantastic Parsons turbines, which were originally rated at 23 MW but progressively uprated to 30 MW as the reactor thermal output was uprated.

turbs 5_cleanup_cleanup.jpg

turbs 4_cleanup.jpg

turbs 3_cleanup.jpg

turbs 2_cleanup_cleanup.jpg

turbs 1_cleanup.jpg

Reactor Hall

The plant design was essentially the same as Calder Hall, comprising four 180 MWth graphite moderated, carbon dioxide cooled nuclear reactors fuelled by natural abundance uranium (0.71% 235U) enclosed in magnesium-alloy cans, the principal difference being in plant layout. Since Chapelcross was commissioned from the outset as a four-reactor site rather than separate two-reactor sites as at Calder 'A' and 'B' stations, the site layout was more compact.

reactor 4_cleanup.jpg

reactor 3_cleanup.jpg

reactor 1_cleanup.jpg

reactor 5_cleanup_cleanup.jpg

reactor 2_cleanup.jpg

Reactor Control Room

Chapelcross has individual, identical control rooms for each reactor. There is also an additional Electrical Control Room controlling the site’s output to the grid.

reactor control 3_cleanup_cleanup.jpg

reactor control 2_cleanup.jpg

reactor control 1_cleanup_cleanup.jpg

Electrical Control Room

control 1_cleanup.jpg

control 2_cleanup.jpg

control 4_cleanup_cleanup.jpg

control 6_cleanup.jpg

Tritium Processing Plant

Chapelcross produced tritium for the Polaris and Trident strategic nuclear weapon systems from about 1980 until 2005. This was achieved by neutron bombardment of lithium target material, with the tritium gas extracted in the Chapelcross Processing Plant (CXPP). This facility was managed by BNFL on behalf of the Ministry of Defence (MoD). The material was transferred to Atomic Weapons Establishment at Aldermaston via secure road convoys.

tritium plant 5_cleanup.jpg

tritium plant 6_cleanup.jpg

tritium plant 3_cleanup.jpg

tritium plant 2_cleanup.jpg

All the things she said
All the things she said
Running through my head
Running through my head
Running through my head
All the things she said
All the things she said
Running through my head
Running through my head

Been there, done that, got the tatu.

jtza

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Oh Andy your songs do make me warm inside <3

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Lovely jubbly. What a beaut. Could I ever believe such a perfect surprise. :)

Fluffy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Meh, mediocre effort at best ;)

Kidding, of course. Absolute perfection. Well played.

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
For those who hadn't realised - this was an April Fools post.

Obviously, I haven't been there! I thought it made a really good report though, and worthy of being brough together for members on here to see.

The images are from a virtual tour by Matterport. If you haven't seen it, it's really worth having a look -

Turbine Hall - Chapelcross Turbine Hall - Operating Level
Reactor Pile Cap - Chapelcross Reactor Pile Cap Room
Reactor Control Room - Chapelcross Reactor Control Room
Electrical Control Room - Chapelcross Electrical Control Room
Tritium Plant - Chapelcross Processing Plant (CXPP - Tritium Plant)

Happy fools day everyone :)
Oh and the writeup is just lyrics from All the Things She Said by t.A.T.u. that I copied and pasted.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Even if this was an April Fools Day prank, the thought of eight Parsons turbines has just made me blather myself.

Who has read this thread (Total: 292) View details