real time web analytics
Report - - Charles Brandauer & Co Ltd, Birmingham - October 2009 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Charles Brandauer & Co Ltd, Birmingham - October 2009

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Adders

living in a cold world
Regular User
Seriously, I didn't think it had been so long since I was here. When thinking back to it earlier I thought it was some point last year that Rooks had come up to Birmingham for the day, but it turns out if was 2009. Whoops.

The history surrounding this company isn't as straight forward as some. Founded in 1850 by Ash & Petit until around 1861 when Ash left the business, leaving deep financial troubles for the company. Enter Charles Brandauer, nephew of Petit's Austrian business agent, sent over to invest in the business, resulting in the construction of this pen works. Petit still ran the works until the beginning of the first World War when the authorities transfered complete ownership to the Petit family in light of Brandauer's Austrian heritage making him an enemy of the state. Regardless though, they manufactured quality pen nibs from creation of the company through to around 1960 when they started producing precision engineering components instead.

The Petits still run the company, albeit not producing pen-nibs anymore in their modern location not far from the original works.

Unfortunately the old works suffered a fire on 4th September 2010, and considerable damage was done to the front wing of the factory. However, on the 27th October of last year a buyer was found for the property, with intentions of turning the front and middle wings into a hotel, with the rear wing and boiler house being converted into a college complete with brewery. It's currently being cleared out and tidied up, apparently.

There's a lot more information and news updates over on this history blog ran by a member of the Brandauer family. The living history of C Brandauer and Co Ltd

Single Figaro Dip Pen Nibs No. 208

a.jpg

b.jpg

Apologies for the lack of external photo, I forgot. :rolleyes:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg