Web
Analytics
Report - - Charles Hill Battery, Dalgety Bay, Fife 26/12/07 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Charles Hill Battery, Dalgety Bay, Fife 26/12/07

zimbob

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited this on Boxing Day with my brother, after the abortive attempt at HMS Jackdaw.

This was a twin 6-pounder emplacement, part of the Firth of Forth Defences, I belive it's originally WW1, though I couldn't find out too much about it.
Unfortunately failing light prevented seeing Braefoot Battery, just round the corner, which I belive is the better of the two, still, next time :)
The approach...
BoxingDay2007018.jpg

Unfortunately the roof had partially collapsed :( There were loads of these railings surrounding it all, they looked kinda fresh for WW2, and I'm not sure when it was stood-down, any info would be good....

BoxingDay2007019.jpg

BoxingDay2007020.jpg

I figured these would have been CASLs, but they had triple slits rather than a single opening?

BoxingDay2007021.jpg

BoxingDay2007023.jpg

Ahhh, camo paint, my weakness :eek::D

BoxingDay2007033.jpg

Mounting for the gun...

BoxingDay2007034.jpg

Seemed to be rails running round the outside of the mounting, unsure as to why, again, any ideas would be nice :)

BoxingDay2007036.jpg

Small structure on it's own, unusual window layout...

BoxingDay2007047.jpg

BoxingDay2007048.jpg

Magazines etc. were pretty much above-ground, and kinda chavved, loads of graffitti, so I'll not bother with the pics.

Lastly, a strange wee hoist, near nothing I could find :crazy

BoxingDay2007051.jpg

I'll be back to do Braefoot though :D

Attachments