real time web analytics
Report - - Chatterley Whitfield Headstocks 16/05/10 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Chatterley Whitfield Headstocks 16/05/10

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Rookinella

I should have danced all night
28DL Full Member
Visited with Speed.

Oh my, we felt the need-to the max!! It took us ages to find a way past the crazy fence but eventually, we were in! There were people crawling all over the site so we had to be careful but one by one, we toppled them like chess pieces.

My god, this place reeked! I don't know what it was but it was borderline sick central. Blurghhh! It was like a combination of poo, dead animals, stagnent water and just general blurgghh.

Either way once we'd climbed one, it would be rude not to climb the rest of them!

Chatterley Whitfield Colliery is a disused coal-mine in Stoke-on-Trent. It was the largest in North Staffordshire, and was the first colliery to produce 1,000,000 tons of saleable coal in a year.

In 1974 it was decided that Chatterley Whitfield coal could be more easily worked from Wolstanton Colliery and an underground roadway was driven to join the two pits. In 1976 coal drawing at Chatterley Whitfield came to an end. Two years later, a Trust was formed to establish the Chatterley Whitfield Mining Museum. The Museum, which offered an underground tour to visitors, operated for twelve years, but finally closed in August 1991 because of drainage problems.

The Chatterley Whitfield Partnership was set up in 1999 between English Heritage, Stoke-on-Trent City Council, Advantage West Midlands and Joan Walley MP to find a way to restore the derelict colliery.

Here's the photos!

_DSC0753R.jpg

_DSC0751R.jpg

_DSC0748R.jpg

_DSC0746R.jpg

_DSC0743R.jpg

_DSC0742R.jpg

_DSC0741R.jpg

_DSC0740R.jpg

_DSC0737R.jpg

_DSC0738R.jpg

_DSC0734R.jpg