real time web analytics
Report - - Checkendon polish camp - Oxfordshire - March 2022 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Checkendon polish camp - Oxfordshire - March 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Hidinginplanesite

Khurbanx
28DL Full Member
Explored with @WilsonTheHuman & Non member

i first saw the Polish camp online - and I knew I was passing through the area for a different explorer so i thought I give this place a checkout - it was so easy to find due to the number of reports and history online.

we arrived in the area about 10am and we parked up on a layby and headed on to explore - it was done in three sections so the first section was the first two buildings - sadly you couldn't get into to them, then we went to the next 3 little Nissan huts - again there was nothing in them and then tracked through the brambles to find the last building that we knew off and this building was the one I wanted

the building itself looks small on the outside but was very impressive - and was a lot bigger than expected on the inside but the one thing that shocked me was the amount of stuff that was left inside.

so there is a lot of history scattered online about this site -

so it said that Checkendon camp was taken from the MOD back in 1948, and was turned in to a hostal hosing for polish families , the camp was similar to other ones that are scatted across the Uk - it said that this camp closed down in the early 60S

The camp at Checkendon, located at the outskirts of the village, offered accommodation in small buildings known as Nissen huts.

the Polish camp was there to help with schooling the children and training the adults for civilian jobs.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice set. I am surprised to see quite a few old remains still there, with the amount of coverage this has had. I guess if its not full of metal pipes, booze or sell ables, people leave stuff in place. Its good too see.

Hidinginplanesite

Khurbanx
28DL Full Member
Nice set. I am surprised to see quite a few old remains still there, with the amount of coverage this has had. I guess if its not full of metal pipes, booze or sell ables, people leave stuff in place. Its good too see.

Wasn't the easiest building to get to thought the brambles - tbh juding by other reports this looks like less stuff

Who has read this thread (Total: 243) View details