real time web analytics
Report - - Checkendon Polish Camp, Oxfordshire . March 2022 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Checkendon Polish Camp, Oxfordshire . March 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

RXQueen

T-Rex Urbex
28DL Full Member
Was in the area with @Chloe Explores so popped in to have a mooch.

lovely little place with what’s left of the old camp. Couldn’t get in a lot of the old Nissens but the “cell” block was open and We almost missed the “laboratory“. I googled the various chemicals that have been left behind and I believe whoever used the “lab” was making paint. I’m glad it wasn’t anything sinister and I never got flagged to MI5 lol.

a beautiful place in a beautiful setting.

History - (borrowe)

After the Second World War, Checkendon was home to Polish war refugees. There were 228,000 Polish troops in the British army and many were displaced after the conflict, ending up living in huts surrounding the woods and common land at Checkendon as well as at Nettlebed and Kingwood Common.

From 1946, they could join the Polish Resettlement Corps, a unit of the army set up to help them prepare for civilian life in Britain.

They were housed in former military camps and support was provided under the Polish Resettlement Act, including dedicated schooling for children and training of adults for civilian jobs.

The camp at Checkendon, was opened in 1948 and offered accommodation in Nissen huts.

Most of these buildings have been dismantled or become derelict but some still survive, scattered through the woods.

The camp, which had been an American base during the war, also had a chapel and a morgue, the remains of which can still be found in the woodland.

Last edited:

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Like this place, both architecturally and some of the stuff that has been left behind. And you photographed it really well too.

Who has read this thread (Total: 239) View details