real time web analytics
Question - - Chickening out when solo | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Chickening out when solo

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
How often do you go for an opportunity, especially abroad, and then chicken out?
I was in Lisbon this weekend and took a taxi out to a asbestos factory after passing it earlier in the day.
I spent 45minutes walking the perimeter and thought I'd found a way in but somehow felt intimidated by the site and made up excuses to go back home to the family.
(i think my hiding some cash and card in my sock at the beginning clearly showed my gut feeling.)
How often do you do this? And what are the factors? Or do I need to just grow some bigger balls?
For me I think it was being abroad, looking like a pretty scabby area, Lisbon clearly looking like it has some drug and crime issues. On analysing it I also think it was because I could only see one rather narrow and tortuous entry route. I think if a place clearly has several entry points then I feel much more confident that I won't get cornered by someone unpleasant. It's a shame, because I always especially like the experience of a solo

explore, on something unreported on the web, abroad.

_D563367.JPG

_D563363.JPG

_D563365.JPG

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
There's nothing wrong with walking away, since my encounter with an absolutely unhinged local in rural Belgium after I didn't listen to my gut feeling that things didn't feel right I've always followed that instinct. There's no shame in living to fight another day especially if you're on your own.

TalkingMask

Professional Twat
28DL Full Member
I’ve only ever gone climbing solo a few times and it really sometimes shows you that what you’re doing is a bit risky, as if something goes wrong then there’s little chance someone can come when you need it

Tried going on some catwalks that had no panels, so just bars, was about 3 stories up on my own, really showed me that there is a big risk factor

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
like mookster said follow your gut feelings if it does not feel right then it probably isnt , being abroad is also a problem ( unless you speak the lingo ) hard to talk your way out of something if you cant get your point across . lastly with stuff thats more risky you need to have informed people where your going what time you are expected back etc . I do a bit of drains but there are some i would rather not attempt on my own , save the risky stuff for when you have company and enjoy the easier ones at least that way you wont feel youve come away empty handed :thumb

NightStalkers007

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
How often do you go for an opportunity, especially abroad, and then chicken out?
I was in Lisbon this weekend and took a taxi out to a asbestos factory after passing it earlier in the day.
I spent 45minutes walking the perimeter and thought I'd found a way in but somehow felt intimidated by the site and made up excuses to go back home to the family.
(i think my hiding some cash and card in my sock at the beginning clearly showed my gut feeling.)
How often do you do this? And what are the factors? Or do I need to just grow some bigger balls?
For me I think it was being abroad, looking like a pretty scabby area, Lisbon clearly looking like it has some drug and crime issues. On analysing it I also think it was because I could only see one rather narrow and tortuous entry route. I think if a place clearly has several entry points then I feel much more confident that I won't get cornered by someone unpleasant. It's a shame, because I always especially like the experience of a solo

_D563367.JPG

_D563363.JPG

_D563365.JPG
It’s completely ok to walk out. I love the experience of soloing it but especially when there are people around I tend to lose my sanity a bit. It’s always a matter of thinking about everything that can possibly go wrong. I always find just leaping right into it goes the best way though!
Hope you get it next time!

Seffy

Staff member
Definitely find that the senses are heightened when going solo; find myself far more aware of my surroundings and catastrophising/risk assessing more. Also sometimes easier to be stealthy and react quickly to the sudden appearance of authority figures when alone. It can be more lonely though obviously.. that and sometimes you need your pals to give you that motivation to go further / open that door / push that button / make that dash across no man's land / see if that motion sensor is working / find out if there's anyone in that vehicle, and so on!

TheTimeChamber

Torch Wavker
Regular User
What @Seffy said really. I am more than likely to attempt something when exploring with a group than on my own as i'll be chivied along. It's more fun going with mates too.

I do enjoy a solo explore every now and then, but it's always a more fraught experience that'll involve a nervous turd somewhere :eek:

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
Yes. I agree with all. I just wondered what people found were the circumstances/specifics that might make you pass on a place.
I much prefer going in a group, but sometimes when on holiday it hard to pass on something decent looking that presents itself.

Exploring With Pride 🌈

Exploring with pride in more ways than one
28DL Full Member

_D563367.JPG

_D563363.JPG

_D563365.JPG
Doing it solo will always give you a bad vibe safety in numbers you never know when you will meet a crack head 😂

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I have prob done more exploring alone than with mates. I quite enjoy both, it does add more tension solo though. My mates are a bit nervous so I often I find myself egging them on it they would happily walk away.

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
For me it's going to depend if it's real exploring or not. If it's just hopping on the tourbus somewhere then what's the point if you're not feeling it?? If it's an actual explore then il push myself to do it regardless because it might not be there tomorrow. Dont find it makes much difference if it's solo or not tho. Same applies to being with group. I will push people to take risks if there's somthing worthwhile but if it's just somewhere we're at because we happened to spot it online and thought we'd take a look I'm usually the first one to say let's just fuck it off and go somewhere less hassle or more important.

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
Haha,
Your reply made me chuckle, Speed, because it was so in character for you.
But yes, passing on something that you don't know anything about is even more painful-you don't know what you could be missing. But I tend to be more nervous in such situations as well-you don't know what you could be getting into.

Who has read this thread (Total: 140) View details