real time web analytics
Report - - Child Snatcher - Meltham - January 2017 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Child Snatcher - Meltham - January 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Child Snatcher - Meltham

1_zpsmdixww88.jpg
[/URL]

This has been on my list of places to visit for a bit now, turned up a few days ago only to find out I'd left all my torches in another bag at home. At least it gave me some time to scope it out.

The culvert is about 300m long and is about 6m wide thoughtout; there is a short 20m opening about half way along.

I wasn't sure what I'd find in here, historically the site had ben a former coal mine, in recent years it has been developed into a supermarket and new housing. All openings looked original so was hoping it won't going to be just a concrete pipe.

The name comes from all the kids bikes, carts, balls and various other toys scattered at the entrances or trapped inside.

2_zpsudr70hil.jpg

The smaller culvert on the right was filled with water, although not running.

The first section is about 100m long until it opens up again for about 20m.

3_zps4posckrn.jpg

A nice stone lined culvert with the obligatory shopping trolly wedged inside.

4_zps6rdk3xmt.jpg

End of the first section is soon reached.

5_zpsxktm5mew.jpg

6_zpseb5rbzcz.jpg

The upstream section at least you couldn't see the light at the end.

7_zpsbdveso4q.jpg

Again it was a nice stone lined culvert with similar dimensions.

8_zpssm80ukrt.jpg
\\

A quick selfie stop just before the dogleg in the culvert.

9_zpsu8bezozm.jpg

Looking towards the upstream end of the culvert.

11_zpsipzxlwac.jpg

Looking back at where I'd come from, remains of old pipe supports and additional strengthening to the roof.

10_zpsyebyv41f.jpg

All to soon the upper entrance is reached.

12_zpsgnlfidsd.jpg

A great wee culvert and nice that it can be done as a through trip. Was pleasantly surprised that the whole culvert was original and hadn't been modified during the fairly recent development work.

Cheers,

TLR.​

Last edited:

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Cheers all, it is a lovely wee mooch :thumb

Nice photos.

It's called Matamp though :)

Cheers @tweek I did a fair bit of research before and even more after to see if this and the other culvert had been documented before. Even using 'Matamp' I can't find anything - well apart from the Meltham company which hand makes guitar amplifiers and speaker cabinets.

I'd have thought this one especially would have been done before by the local explorers, and is obvious it has had a thorough survey fairly recently given all the dimensions painted on the wall.

Any links to other of the local culverts that have been done so I can get the names correct in the future?

Fudge

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cheers all, it is a lovely wee mooch :thumb

Cheers @tweek I did a fair bit of research before and even more after to see if this and the other culvert had been documented before. Even using 'Matamp' I can't find anything - well apart from the Meltham company which hand makes guitar amplifiers and speaker cabinets.

I'd have thought this one especially would have been done before by the local explorers, and is obvious it has had a thorough survey fairly recently given all the dimensions painted on the wall.

Any links to other of the local culverts that have been done so I can get the names correct in the future?

Done but not necessarily documented. I had a thread written out but never got round to posting it. Might surprise you to find that Matamp were the original 'Orange' amplifiers.

Who has read this thread (Total: 164) View details