real time web analytics
Report - - Cliffe Fort, Kent. April 2011 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cliffe Fort, Kent. April 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Liesel

28DL Member
28DL Member
My first report(and proper explore!), so hopefully I've got this right!

Wanted to go here for ages, and it didn't disappoint, its been done many a time before, but some history from Wikipedia:

"Cliffe Fort is a Royal Commission fort built in the 1860s on the edge of the Cliffe marshes on the Hoo Peninsula in north Kent to protect against invasion via the Thames. It is opposite Coalhouse Fort in Essex: they are 2 km apart. Construction was difficult due to the marshy ground and the malaria-carrying mosquitos. It was armed with 12.5-inch 38-ton and 11-inch 25-ton rifled muzzle-loading guns. Protection of these guns was provided by granite-faced casemates with shields for added defence. The shields, casemates and the rails on which the gun carriages stood are all still visible today.

A Brennan Torpedo station was added in 1890. This was a wire-guided missile used for harbour defence: the launching rails are still visible at low water. It was replaced around 1910 with quick firing guns. The fort was armed in World War I and was used as an anti-aircraft battery in World War II."

The lower levels are flooded, and lots of cracks and signs of subsidence, but a fascinating place nonetheless.

On with the photos:

DSCF8901copy.jpg

DSCF8899copy.jpg

DSCF8893copy.jpg

DSCF8874copy.jpg

Scuba gear required for lower levels?!:
DSCF8866copy.jpg

DSCF8861copy.jpg

DSCF8860copy.jpg

DSCF8856copy.jpg

DSCF8853copy.jpg

DSCF8845copy.jpg

DSCF8841copy.jpg

DSCF8822copy.jpg

DSCF8906copy.jpg

I returned home battered and bruised, but loved it, and looking forward to many more explores :)

Liesel

Who has read this thread (Total: 2) View details