real time web analytics
Report - - Cliffe fort, Kent, June 2011 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cliffe fort, Kent, June 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Desolate

28DL Member
28DL Member
Cliffe fort

For my first full exploration I decided to give cliffe fort a go. There was enough information available during my research for me to be confident enough to give this a try. The walk down to the fort is about a mile, past the sailing club, they didn’t seem to pay too much attention to me so I just carried on. I definitely learnt the lesson that ‘less is more’ of this explore, as after lugging all my camera gear there and my heavy old manfrotto studio tripod – none of which I used!

Firstly I took a little wander around, and spotted these wrecks which I took a few pics of.

ShipWreckrear_MG_0817.jpg

Shipwreckfront_MG_0820.jpg

Boatwreck_MG_0816.jpg

Access to the fort was easy to spot, it clearly is regularly visited, there were even some helpful (if wobbly) homemade steps there!

History bit. Cliffe fort is part of the defences built to protect England during the 1800’s. There is a series of redoubts, lager forts like fort Amherst and the royal military canal. All were designed to slow down land based attacks from the continent towards London. Cliffe fort was designed to protect the river Thames from enemy ships sailing up and giving the country a pounding! What is really interesting is that Cliffe fort has A Brennan Torpedo station which was added in 1890. This was a really clever wire-guided missile used for harbor defense, and it was guided by an operator at the fort, and by adjusting the wires it can be moved left and right to hit enemy ships, which is pretty clever for the 1890’s! more information about the Brennan Torpedo can be found here:

Brennan torpedo - Wikipedia

The fort was used during the first and second world war and armed with anti aircraft guns. The fort has solid casemates for protection.

As I went in the middle of the day, I did have to keep as out of sight as possible. The fort is in 3 levels, the bottom level is flooded, there is a very helpful rope down to the middle level and the upper level.

Enough chat – to the pictures.

The sign greeting you ☺

DnagersignP1060429.jpg

Exterior
Cliffefortoutside_MG_0822.jpg

FortexteriorP1060431.jpg

The torpedo launcher

TorpedoLauncherlow_MG_0826.jpg

Torpedolauncher_MG_0824.jpg

Inside the fort

Upperfort_MG_0836.jpg

Upperfort2_MG_0837.jpg

Tower_MG_0831.jpg

Tower4_MG_0843.jpg

Tower2_MG_0839.jpg

Topofcliffefort_MG_0827.jpg

LowerlevelfloodedP1060424.jpg

Fortinterior4_MG_0834.jpg

Fortinterior3_MG_0835.jpg

Fortinterior2_MG_0832.jpg

concretemounds_MG_0833.jpg

Excuse the 'wonky' ones - first explore excitement! :)

sx-riffraff

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
a few pics from the day before Desolate went. hope you dont mind me dumping these here mate.

cliffefort063jpg.jpg

cliffefort036jpg.jpg

cliffefort046jpg.jpg

cliffefort038jpg.jpg

cliffefort034jpg.jpg

cliffefort037jpg.jpg

cliffefort083jpg.jpg

Who has read this thread (Total: 6) View details