real time web analytics
Report - - Clipstone Colliery Nottinghamshire 17/04/10 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Clipstone Colliery Nottinghamshire 17/04/10

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
With summer finally here, what better way to spend it than visiting some fantastic site's and this was an amazing weekend, two hassle free reports(Thorpe marsh to follow).Firstly thanks to DHL on this one much appreciated.This was an absolute joy to visit i could have spent all day there, we got on site at about 5.30 am to catch the sun rise, then ventured inside and just looked around for a hour till the light got better this truly is an industrial heaven my onlydisappointment is looking at previous report's clearly the thieves have been hard at work which made the place a bit of a scrap yard, however all in all i would say that it made getting out of bed at 3am so worth it. the sheerscale was very impressive and the headstocks are incredible (we didn't go up this time) I'm sure most are aware of the history but for those who don't here is a little about this amazing piece of history..
The colliery was first owned by the Bolsover Colliery Company and passed to the National coal board in 1947, the colliey was sunk to exploit the Barnsley seam or Tophard as it was locally known, in the 1950's were at a depth of 920m the colliery closed in 1993 and re opened in 1994 by RJB Mining but finally closed in April 2003.
The headstocks are regarded the tallest in Europe and are of gradeII listing, the colliery is under threat of demolition, another piece of heritage lost..Enjoy​

a-17.jpg

b-17.jpg

c-16.jpg

d-17.jpg

e-17.jpg

f-16.jpg
g-16.jpg

h-17.jpg

i-17.jpg

j-16.jpg

k-17.jpg

l-14.jpg