real time web analytics
Report - - Co-operative Wholesale Services Birmingham 11/04/09 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Co-operative Wholesale Services Birmingham 11/04/09

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

virusman26

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Originally built to be used as the Co-operative furniture factory(there were many co-op buildings around, producing various items on different sites) but the use was later changed to be the manufacture and maintenance site for scales and weights. Some of the items produced at that time are still in the basement, awaiting removal to a museum(well, they SHOULD be!!)

I've been waiting to see this place for a while now, but it's been well secured since the fire that almost destroyed it. Persistence has payed off today, and It's been worth the wait!!!

DSCF8530.gif

View attachment 142394

View attachment 142397

View attachment 142400
The tower was used as a water tower as usual, with service hatches on each level. The metal stairs were damaged in the fires of 2007, and now hold little strength. Bigger balls and no commitments would have seen me climb it, but I hate heights at the best of times! LOL

View attachment 142404

View attachment 142408

The basement was full of treasures.....

View attachment 142411

View attachment 142413

View attachment 142415

Old AVERY scales
View attachment 142418

View attachment 142421

I shots lots there, but these are the best. Since the fires, the place has been stripped out, and little of the original fittings remain. The building is planned to be used for a new hotel, with the original building being restored to its original state as per this planning permission.......

http://eastsideblog.wordpress.com/2008/10/14/rebuild-of-the-old-co-op-planning-submitted/

Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details