real time web analytics
Report - - Coach Graveyard and Service Station, Mid-Wales - August 2022 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Coach Graveyard and Service Station, Mid-Wales - August 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Introduction
A trip to South Wales meant that I had to go to this old bus graveyard. I have always had a bit of a thing for old buses/coaches so I’ve wanted to see since I started seeing it pop up in various places a couple of years ago. I appreciate this has been on the Facebook groups quite a lot recently, but I wanted to do my own take on the site. Note: This is a repost from when the previous thread was deleted due to the forum rollback a few months ago.

History
Surprisingly, I couldn’t actually find too much history about this site. The site does not appear on any historical maps from the fifties or older, which suggests it opened after this time. It also had a popular cafe on site.

The site consists of an old Service Station with a workshop/storage area out the back, and a coach yard rammed with derelict vehicles.

Based on the price of Unleaded on the sign being under a pound a litre, I would estimate that the sale of fuel at the site ceased anywhere between 2005 and 2008. Although fuel prices did drop under a pound a litre a couple of times after that, the oldest street view for the site is around 2008 and the pumps looked derelict even then.

If anyone has any interesting information and/or history about this place then I’d be very keen to find out more.

The Explore
The owner allegedly lives on-site, so I felt it would be appropriate to park fairly obviously out the front. We did some external shots and looked around, half expecting the owner to appear but he didn’t.

We continued into the covered workshop/storage areas and the owner then appeared. At first, he was disgruntled that we went in without permission, but later calmed down and he was a really nice chap. He let us stay and he spoke to us about the history of some of the buses. He still accesses the site often and still buys coaches and also sells some that he has, so if any of you are after an old bus or coach you wish to buy or do up, you know where to look.

We were highly appreciative of the owner letting us continue looking around, especially as we were there initially without permission.

The buses come from all areas of the country, he has bought them from auctions in the past and there was even a 20-year-old bus which was originally registered, from-new, with Mulleys Coaches in Suffolk, a good five hours from the site.

The only part we missed was a bit with some old vehicles in, this has now been sealed by the owner due to idiots breaking in and damaging stuff.

Onto the photos…

Starting with some exteriors of the service station and a few of the coaches outside.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

A look in the old service station building, not much remains in this part, but I liked how the floor has turned green over the years and there were a couple of die-cast models of cars and coaches

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

The next part was the workshop and covered storage area. There was lots to see in here including an old Bedford coach from the late seventies which looks like it was last used by aircraft seat manufacturer Martin-Baker judging by the livery.

In addition, there were several other coaches from a similar era including a 1982 Seddon Pennine VII (reg: BNC 344Y) which has had its livery stripped. I found a photograph on Flickr of when it was in service and was used for National Express routes across the UK.

11.jpg

12.jpg

In another part, there was an old workshop which lots of old engine parts laid out neatly on the floor.

14.jpg

I liked the green interior of this little bus, most likely used in and around a city.

15.jpg

The bus below was completely stripped… don’t think this one will be on the road again anytime soon.

16.jpg

Some others...

17.jpg

18.jpg

Continued…

Last edited:

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The next section of the site was the yard out the back. There was probably a good 15-20 coaches stored in this area varying in age and condition. There was a small number which were completely stripped, whilst some were in very good condition and would probably not take much work to get them restored and back in service.

19.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

There were also a few old cars and vans dotted around the site, including a couple of old vans and a Saab 9-3. I liked the blue van:

20.jpg

This was my favourite interior of the buses that I had a look in, I liked the retro design of the striped red seats:

26.jpg

27.jpg

Good to see the old radio was still intact, wouldn’t have thought I could connect my phone to this…

28.jpg

The final photo is the front of the yard which includes the derelict Saab 9-3 as mentioned earlier, and an old Optare Alero school bus. I also liked the cream and red Leyland school coach. This one was last used by Silcox Coach Company. It was sold in 2016 according to an auction listing I found online.

29.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Well covered. there certainly wasnt anyone there when we went a few years back, but was a tawny owl living in the workshop!
really interesting place though, did he say what the plans are with them all?

bobdobelina

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I love how things in Wales are not that trashed. There's a bus scrap yard in Wigan and there's not one piece of glass intact.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Well covered. there certainly wasnt anyone there when we went a few years back, but was a tawny owl living in the workshop!
really interesting place though, did he say what the plans are with them all?
Thank you, yeah it is a very interesting place. I do like buses and coaches so I really enjoyed it. He didn't really give me a straight answer for the future. He still buys them from auctions occasionally and adds them to the collection, but he does tend to sell some as well. He's a bit like me with a 'any of them are for sale at the right price' sort of mindset.
I love how things in Wales are not that trashed. There's a bus scrap yard in Wigan and there's not one piece of glass intact.
Yep, exactly the same as Norfolk, they would have all been burnt out if it was in Norfolk which is sad.
Nicely covered. If only fuel was still that price!
Thanks mate, honestly if fuel was still that price I'd have a lot more locations covered in the last year or so haha.
Nicely covered.
Thank you Jane!

Morri Autarky

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Brilliant read, and good about the owner chatting about the history. Would you be willing to share location ? i am making a trip from Glasgow around Wales. Many thakns for any information provided.

Who has read this thread (Total: 291) View details